Chapter 29

The worst wound that Gwen had to fix was a long gash on a crewman's arm. Each citizen that came through expressed the greatest gratitude, even though they weren't sure exactly who Gwen even was. 

She sighed as she swatted back a strand of hair with the back of her hand. Fatigue was beginning to set in.  Caspian leaned against the doorpost, staring.

"I have an injury that needs to be fixed."

She looked at him, skeptical as he came closer. "Oh, do you?"

"Yes. Someone is taking my heart from me. I can't seem to get it back. Is there anything you can do about that?"

She smiled. "No, there isn't. I'm not sure I'd want to even if I could." 

He started leaning down but stopped himself. "What about your hand?" 

She had forgotten about her rope-burned hand. She looked down at the reddening wound and crusted blood. 

"Sit. It's time for you to be taken care of." 

She sat down where her patients had, and Caspian grabbed a piece of cloth that had been laid across a table. 

"What else do I need?" 

"Something to clean the wound. Grab that bottle." 

Caspian grabbed the tall green glass bottle and sat in front of her. 

"Pour this on the wound?" 

"Not dire--" She winced as the liquid splashed into the burn.

"Oh, darling, I'm so sorry!" He frantically dabbed at her soaked palm. 

 She smiled. "I find it quite ironic that you're bandaging my hand now." 

He smiled too, the same memory coming back to mind. "It is, isn't it?" 

With further instruction from Gwen, Caspian finished helping her with her hand. 

"Do you need anything else?" 

"No, I think that's it." Gwen looked around. "I just have to get this all cleaned up." 

"Well, I'm going to act on what I couldn't last time you were here and helped me with my hand."

He leaned in and kissed her, to which she quickly returned. 

Once they pulled away, Caspian gazed into her eyes. "Are you ready to be introduced?"

"I think so." 

"Now, I am going to warn you, however." His tone took a serious turn. 

"What is it?" 

"My council has been bringing in other girls from the other countries in Narnia, seeing if they would catch my heart. They may be resistant and hesitant, or possibly even against you being queen." 

She nodded, his words of no shock to her. "I've dealt with rejection my whole life. I can handle them." 

He smiled. "That's my girl. I just wanted to warn you so it wouldn't catch you off-guard." 

She took his hand and they walked out together. 

"My people," Caspian projected. The citizens and crew turned their attention to him. "I'd like for you to meet and welcome your future queen."

Gwen took Caspian's hand as he helped her up the battered stairs. She shyly smiled out at the sea of faces. 

"This is Gwendolyn Brookes. Aslan himself brought her here three years ago with the Kings and Queens of Old and I fell in love with her. In a few short months, she will be your queen. And before some of you have your objections, she is one of us, she is Narnian. Her mother was a Red Dwarf."