Chapter 38

"Gwen. Gwen, darling,"

Gwen's eyes slowly fluttered open to see Caspian's. "Yes, love?" she sleepily asked.

"We're home now."

She lifted her head from Caspian's shoulder, looking out the carriage window at the castle in the distance. "We are home." she smiled.

Caspian slipped his arm around his wife's waist, grinning at her excited expression. "Finally,"

She nodded in agreement at Caspian's words. She lowered her head back onto his shoulder, savoring the last few moments they would have alone.

The week and a half they had spent together had been pure bliss. But it was nice to finally be back home.

The carriage came to a halt and the door opened. Gwen pulled the hood of her cloak over her head, shielding herself from the cold and Caspian stepped out of the carriage first, eager to help his wife out. She took his hand and stepped out of the carriage.

"Your Majesties." Lord Gaspar bowed.

"My lord," Gwen greeted him.

"Lord Gaspar." Caspian nodded.

"I trust you both enjoyed your holiday?"

"Yes, we did," Caspian replied.

"Wonderful. Now, I hate to do this to you since you've just gotten back, Your Majesty, but the finishing touches for your wife's coronation ceremony need to be made."

Gwen's heart raced at the reminder. Part of her was dreading the ceremony, the other half of her excited.

Caspian sighed. "Yes, of course. I'll be there soon. Please, go ahead of me."

The lord bowed and started back inside.

"I'm going to take you inside and let you get settled back in. Then I'll have to go take care of the matter."

Gwen nodded. "Let's just hurry and get out of this cold. It feels like it's pricking my cheeks."

Caspian wrapped his arm around her as they walked. "Is that better?"

"Mm-hmm,"

"You know what I think? I think you're making it up and you're not actually that cold."

Gwen feigned offense as she looked up and Caspian lifted a brow. Gwen gave in.

"I'm quite certain I know if I'm cold or not. But . . . you know I'm not going to miss any opportunity I have of being in your arms."

"And that's exactly what I thought. But I have no complaints either,"

~~~

Gwen began to settle in again, placing her things where they belonged. Their chambers connected to Caspian's study, and she walked in to grab her bag when she saw Trumpkin. 

"Uncle!" She embraced him. "How have you been?" 

"I should be asking you that, you've been gone for a week and a half. You're a married woman now. I feel slighted." 

She laughed. "Why?" 

"Because I've only gotten to spend a short time with you. Now you're married and all fancy-like." 

She smiled. "Uncle, just because I'm married doesn't mean I'm going to forget about you." 

He nodded. "You'd better not," 

She embraced him. 

"Was it a good holiday?" 

"A marvelous one," 

~~~

Caspian and Gwen walked to the church arm in arm. 

"So, we're going over what we shall be doing during my coronation?" 

"Well, just what will be happening, so you're familiarized with it." 

"Right. Okay,"

He looked down at her, concern slipping in. Her brown eyes had dark circles under them and lines forming around her eyes. 

"Are you feeling well?" 

"Why do you ask?" She scrunched her brow. 

"It may just be because it's cloudy and there's a shadow cast, but your eyes look tired," 

"Well, I am a bit sleepy. I must not have rested well last night,"

"Well, hopefully, you'll wake up refreshed in the morning," 

"I'm sure I will. Let's hurry in, it's cold out here," 

~~~

"So, what's on tomorrow's agenda?" Gwen asked that night.

"Well, tomorrow, we have to finalize some last-minute things for your coronation. I have some things I have to go over that needed my attention since we've been gone. And then my duties as usual." 

She combed through her hair, watching Caspian pace in the mirror. She turned around. 

"Love," 

He stopped pacing. "Yes?"

"You're pacing,"

He sighed as he sat in the chair behind him, placing his head in his palms. "I'm sorry. I'm just . . .  Now that we're back, I'm stressed. It always happens when I come back here after being away." 

She went to him, stroking his arm. "Does it ease once you get settled?" 

"Yes; some at least,"

"Well, I'm sure it will go away soon," 

"I hope so. If not, I'll be so scatter-minded," 

Gwen continued stroking his arm, hiding the fact that she too was fighting great stress and fatigue. All she could think about was the coronation coming. 

~~~

"I can't believe it. In three days, I'm going to be the official queen," 

"This is your last fitting. It's nearly finished. I think we fixed all of the problems yesterday," Lydia said. 

"Mm-hmm," 

Tamera stared at Gwen. "My Lady, are you well?" 

"Why do you ask?" 

"You've blanched," 

She raised her hand to her face. "I am quite cold. It must just be a draft through the window." 

"I shall close it for you, My Lady." Lydia hurried. She quickly shut the window. "I don't know why it was open in the first place!" 

"It's alright. I'm sure it's just a draft," 

She continued to ignore the growing fatigue.