Chapter 17

Gwen rested her head against Caspian's arm as he led her back to the main streets. Some of the crew followed behind.

 "Gwen!" Lucy cried as she saw her. She ran forward, colliding with Gwen.  Edmund came next. 

"Are you alright? You're not hurt, are you?" Edmund asked. 

Gwen shook her head. "Caspian saved me before any true harm could be done." She looked up at him, smiling. 

"I'm so glad you're safe," Lucy said. 

People began to gather around, cheering and clapping. They lined the streets as the crew and young people walked through them. Gwen slipped her hand into Caspian's as they walked, and he gripped hers. 

"Are you feeling well?" Caspian whispered. 

"Just exhausted. I was up all night." Gwen replied. 

"You can sleep all you want when we get back on the ship. I want you to sleep to your heart's content and be well-rested." 

She smiled. "I may do that." 

"Your Majesty, Your Majesty!" A voice cried. 

A man started toward Caspian and Gwen, seeming desperate. Drinian collided with the man, ready to defend his king. Caspian and Edmund placed their hands on the hilt of their swords.

"My wife was taken just this morning," the man said. 

"It's alright, Drinian." Caspian brushed him away. 

"I beg you, take me with you," the man said. 

A young girl ran up behind, pulling at him. "Daddy! Daddy!" she cried. A woman came and pulled the young girl away and Gwen looked inquisitively at her.

"I want to come," the young girl insisted. 

"No, Gael, stay with your aunt." the man replied as he walked with Caspian. 

"Ed, let Caspian know I'm coming back," Gwen whispered as she fell behind. 

She backtracked to the young girl and her aunt. She knelt before the young girl. 

"What troubles you, dear one?" 

Tears welled in her eyes. "My mummy. . . she was taken this morning. I want her back." 

Gwen's heart lurched. This girl looked to be about the age she was when she lost her parents. She placed her hand on the child's shoulder. 

"Don't worry, dear. King Caspian and his crew will find your mummy and return her safely to you in no time." 

"Do you promise?" 

Gwen had abundant faith in Caspian and his crew. She knew they were more than capable. She nodded. "I promise." 

Gwen stood, nodding toward the young girl's aunt and hurried to catch up with the group. Caspian fell back as he saw her. 

"Is everything alright?" 

"Yes, I was speaking to the stranger's daughter. She's lost her mother. She can't be much older than I was when my parents died." 

Caspian grasped her hand and kissed it, seeing the lingering pained look in her eyes at the memory. Gwen's heart fluttered. "He's coming with us. We're going to find her." 

"I promised her we would. I can't break a promise." Gwen softly smiled. 

Caspian returned it. "Then we will live up to that promise."

They took a few steps forward to be at the front of the procession, arriving back at the longboats that had brought them ashore hours before. 

"My king! My king!" An older man cried, holding something up.