Chapter 42

Gwen looked over the piece of parchment in her hands, then to the servant in front of her. "So, the rooms are ready for the citizens?" 

"Yes, Your Majesty."

"Wonderful. You've all done a marvelous job. Thank you. Please express my gratitude to the other servants." 

The young man bowed. "Yes, Your Majesty. Thank you," 

Gwen looked around the winter palace entryway, smiling. It seemed so long ago that she had spent her honeymoon here when it had only been a few weeks. 

"Everything is in order on my end." She turned to find Caspian. "How about you, darling?" 

"Everything's in order," she replied. "They've done a wonderful job preparing." 

"Yes, they have. The citizens have arrived. Shall we go meet them?" 

She took his arm, picking up her dress slightly. "Yes,"

They came to the doors of the castle and found the families who had lost their homes with whatever belongings they had left. 

"Welcome, citizens. We are honored that you have accepted our offer to stay here at the winter palace castle until your homes are rebuilt," Caspian said. 

"We have rooms ready for all of you, and food being prepared," Gwen said. 

"Please, come inside," 

The people started for the door, bowing before Caspian and Gwen, profusely thanking them.  An older man and woman stopped before them. 

"Thank you so much for doing this, Your Majesties," the man said. 

"We cannot thank you enough for your kindness," his wife added. 

"It was the least we could do," Caspian said. "Besides, it was all the queen's idea." 

The older woman smiled. "I wasn't happy at first when I heard of you becoming our queen. But now, I see that if we would have had anyone else for our queen, we would have missed the best." She curtsied. 

Gwen pressed her hand to her heart, pulling the woman up. "Please, don't. I'm no different than you are. I'm just glad that Aslan has given me this role and this life. I'm forever grateful to him for it. I only hope I can make my fellow Narnians proud and that I can serve you to the fullest extent." 

~~~

Gwen roamed the gardens, looking at all of the flowers. Nymphs tended to them, working their powers to make sure each flower was healthy and vibrant. 

A glint of gold caught her eye in the grove. She stopped. This wasn't gold like the flowers around her. This was different. She knew exactly what was happening. She came to the grove, entering. 

There she saw him. 

"Gwendolyn,"

She smiled. "Aslan." She ran to him as Lucy would have done, burying her face in his soft mane. "What are you doing here?"

"There is something you must know." His tone was grim, making Gwen's heart warble.

"Please, tell me then,"

"Soon, you and Caspian will go through hardship. You will be pulled in different directions and sorrow will overtake you both."

Her eyes widened as she felt her heart drop to her stomach. "What do you mean? Please, tell me more. Surely, nothing could tear us away from each other."

"That is all I can say, my child,"

Gwen turned, beginning to pace. "But Aslan surely--" She turned, and he was gone. "Aslan? Aslan! No."