Chapter 19

Gwen saw the marking in the sand the next morning and knew it hadn't been there the night before. 

It was a giant footprint. They were everywhere. 

And Lucy was gone. 

She ran to Caspian, shaking his shoulder. "Caspian! Caspian, wake up!" 

He slowly opened his eyes and looked at her. "Gwen. . .?"

"Caspian, Lucy's missing!"

His eyes widened and he shot up, brushing any sand away from his clothes.

"What are these?" He pointed to the abnormal footprints.

"I don't know. I just saw them this morning."

"Whoever left them must have taken Lu," Caspian said. 

Gwen nodded. She hurried to wake Edmund, shaking his shoulder. 

"Ed! Ed!" 

"Hm? Did he ask you yet?"

Gwen's brown scrunched. "Edmund, you're dreaming. Wake up, Lu's missing!" 

Edmund's eyes opened and he scrambled to his feet. Caspian explained the rest. 

Gwen looked back, making sure that Gael's father, Rhince, had woken her. Gwen strapped on her dagger belt. Her hands shook. She hoped and prayed that Lucy was safe. 

"Are you alright?" Caspian asked as he strapped his sword belt on.

 She shook her head. "No. I hope she's safe." 

Caspian offered his hand, which she gladly took.  

The crew hurried off, following the large footprints. Minutes later, Edmund crouched. He picked something up off the ground, showing it to Gwen and Caspian. 

"Caspian, it's Lu's dagger." Edmund said. 

 Gwen looked at Caspian, panicking. She took a breath. She had to calm herself. She had no time to break down into tears. She had to find her friend. 

Suddenly, spears began to rain down on the crew. 

"Stop right there or perish!" a voice spoke, but there was no one present. 

Gwen and the others pulled their weapons out, only to have them knocked out of their hands and their bodies slammed to the grassy lawn below. 

Gwen felt herself falling but hands stopped her. She landed right beside Caspian. 

"What sort of creatures are you?" Caspian asked. He pulled Gwen up, standing in front of her protectively. 

"Big ones," another voice said. "With the head of a tiger and the body of a. . ."

"Different tiger," another voice came.

"You don't want to mess with us!" the main voice spoke again. 

Then, the invisible figures began to show. The crew could see further movement and colors. 

"Or what?" Edmund asked.

"Or I'll claw you to death."

More threats came from the creatures, clueless of their visibility. They were a form of dwarf and only had one foot. 

"You mean, squash us with your fat bellies?" Edmund mockingly asked. 

"Tickle us with your toes?" Caspian added. 

Then some of the dwarves fell to the ground. 

Edmund stood over one with his sword. "What have you done with my sister, you little pip-squeak?"