Chapter 5

"Peter," Susan called from a darkly lit tunnel inside the How. Edmund, Gwen, and Caspian all turned to face her as well. "You may want to see this."

The three looked at each other before heading to Susan, Caspian following closely behind. 

Peter was handed a torch before they met up with Susan and she led the way through the tunnels. 

"Hold the torch against the walls," she said. 

Peter did so and as the light illuminated the dark wall, it revealed carvings of people doing various things. One caught Gwen's eye. It was four young people standing next to thrones.

"It's us," Susan said. 

Gwen watched the siblings' expressions change.

"What is this place?" Lucy asked. 

"You don't know?" Caspian looked at the siblings.

The siblings all remained silent. Caspian took a torch from the sconce on the wall, leading the way further into the tunnel. 

Gwen fixed her gaze on the carvings as they followed Caspian, intrigued by the stories they held. What all have they done here?   

I have no doubt that they must have been marvelous rulers for the extent of love, admiration, and loyalty the Narnians possess for them, even though most of the Narnians around hadn't been in the age of their rule.

The group came into a large spacious area, no torches lighting the room. But, as Caspian bent his torch down, fire caught and the room began to illuminate.

More detailed carvings covered the walls. Figures and faces of Narnians were forever immortalized in scenes that Gwen knew meant something. She just wasn't sure what.

Then in the middle of two pillars, a lion was pictured. 

Gwen took a breath in at the sight. She knew in her heart of hearts as soon as she had seen it, that the lion was Aslan. A reverential feeling washed over her as she stared.

In the middle of the floor, was a table of stone, broken in two. 

"What is this place?" Gwen said. 

Lucy moved to the stone table, placing her hand on it.  "He must know what he's doing." She turned to Susan. 

Caspian came over to Gwen, leaning in slightly. "This was the Great Aslan's tomb. He came back to life after giving up his own to save Edmund's. Edmund was sentenced to death on that table for helping the White Witch but Aslan took his place. It happened in this room." 

She looked up at Caspian. "How terrible. And wonderful," A breathy laugh escaped. 

Caspian smiled at the childish wonder in her eyes. There was something different about this girl. He hadn't met any other like her in all of his nineteen years. He tried to not be obvious as he stared at her. She was watching her friends. He could tell their bond was one of family, despite them not being related.

He couldn't help it, he wanted to know more about this girl.

 "I think it's up to us now," Peter broke the silence and Caspian out of his stupor. 

"So, what's on the agenda?" Gwen asked. 

"Well," Peter said. "We need to train you with a weapon of some sort. You need to know how to handle one just in case."

Gwen nodded even though the thought of having to possibly impale someone in battle made her stomach roil. 

"I'll find someone to--"