Chapter 10

Gwen and Susan made their way to the ledge where all the archers stood, waiting for a command that may or may not come, depending on the outcome of the duel. 

Despite her pain fogged brain, Gwen acknowledged it. She fancied Caspian. She had feelings for him, even if it was a little bit. 

She had wanted to deny it, reminding herself that she had only known him for a few days, but if there was something there, which she knew there was, she couldn't deny it anymore. 

Perhaps this was the reason she had been brought to Narnia. But, if she were to leave, why would she be brought, gain feelings for someone, the boy of her dreams at that, and then have to leave?

Was this Aslan's plan? How could she go through life knowing that she had met the potential One if she had to leave him behind? 

She watched as Peter and Miraz battled, Peter coming out on top. Gwen couldn't hear or tell what words were being exchanged but Caspian came to Miraz's bowing body and raised his sword. 

Caspian was going to kill his uncle. 

"No, don't," she whispered. 

Then, with a scream that echoed, Caspian brought down his sword. Gwen expected to see blood pooling around the body and other unmentionable gore, but none came. Caspian backed away from his still alive and breathing uncle, raising his sword triumphantly. The Narnians roared in joy. 

~~~ 

Gwen smiled and Caspian could see it from below. He turned away from his uncle, purposing to go check on Gwen and make sure she was still well enough. 

Then he heard a gasp of pain, gurgling, and a thud. 

There on the ground lay his uncle's dead body. 

~~~

Gwen couldn't believe what she had just seen.

One of Miraz's own men had just killed him. 

"Treachery! They shot him! They murdered our king!" The man cried. 

Gwen gasped. It would be a full-on battle now. She knew none of their archers had shot the arrow. But the Telmarines didn't. 

"Be ready!"  Peter shouted. 

"Peter!" Caspian shouted as a Telmarine was readying to hit Peter. 

"Hand me a bow, Uncle," Gwen told Trumpkin. She wished she knew better how to handle one. 

"Are you sure? Your injury--" Trumpkin started. 

"I want to help." she insisted. 

Trumpkin grinned. "You're so much like your mother." 

Gwen smiled.

Trumpkin showed her a quick way to handle the bow and shoot it. 

Caspian raced to his horse and waited to gallop inside the How to set off the battle plan. The Telmarines began to advance on the Narnians. 

"Archers to the ready!" Susan shouted. 

Adrenaline worked at its fullest effect. Gwen held the bow as she saw the other archers were. Her arm burned and throbbed as she felt warm liquid begin to roll down her arm again. 

Edmund and Peter stood their ground near the arena as cannonballs shot off. 

Caspian and Glenstorm galloped into the How. Gwen heard the cries and shouts of the Narnians below. Every little sound seemed to blur and amplify all at once.