Chapter 39

Gwen groaned as she turned on her side, still half asleep.

"Gwen? Are you okay?"

She opened her eyes to see Caspian entering through the main door, already dressed for the day.

 "No, something's wrong," she said, her tone weak.

He knelt beside her, laying the back of his hand on her forehead. He hummed. "You're burning up." 

"Check again. I can't have a fever," 

He repeated the action and pulled away. He noticed her cheeks were flushed. "You're staying in bed today."

"Caspian, I can't." She began to pull herself up from laying her head on the soft pillow.

"Yes, you can,"

"Caspian, no, I have duties to start on and--" Gwen started to get out of the bed but ended up collapsing, Caspian catching her before she could hit the floor.

"See? I'm getting the physician. Get back in bed,"

He pulled the covers over her and she lay down without any more quarrels. He brushed the hair from her eyes and kissed her head. He ran his knuckle down her temples, giving her a soft smile which she returned. 

"You're going to get sick too if you stay in my face," 

"So be it. I love you, Gwendolyn,"

"I love you too, Caspian,"

With one last glance over his shoulder, he shut the door and left to find the physician. 

~~~

The doors opened a while later, Caspian and the physician came through. He came around to Gwen's side and knelt. "How are you, my darling?"

"Not much better. I've been asleep since you left,"

The physician came around. "My Lady." He bowed. "I ask you to please sit up."

Caspian took Gwen's arm, finding it clammy. He helped her up and the physician began to examine her and soon finished. "Well, I can't seem to find anything wrong. Your mind may just be terribly burdened. I recommend rest. What ails you?"

"A headache and severe fatigue,"

"Well, her head was extremely hot. I think she has a fever." Caspian said, his tone still wavering and unsure of the whole situation.

"Yes, it is probably just great stress, especially with the official coronation ceremony in two days. Just take some rest for today. You should be back to yourself."

"Thank you, sir. You've relieved me of much worry for my wife." Caspian shook his hand and he left.

"Thank you," she mumbled. 

Caspian knelt next to her again. "Are you sure you're well?"

She weakly smiled, hoping to relieve his worry. "I'll be fine, love. Go about your day as you normally do. I'll call for you if I need you, I promise."

"Are you sure? I don't want to leave you while you're ill." 

"Go before I throw this pillow at you." she joked. 

He kissed her head as he stood up. "I love you," 

"I love you too,"

~~~
"Meeting adjourned. Thank you," 

The council began to disperse, leaving Caspian. He brushed his hair out of his eyes and rubbed his temples. The day had seemed to drag on and it was only midday.