Chapter 43

Gwen tried to speak with Caspian throughout the rest of the day but stopped at the door of his study each time she came. But she couldn't keep backing out like this. She had to apologize. 

She took a breath before knocking on the deep wooden door. 

"Come in," 

She opened the door and Caspian rose from his chair when he saw her. "Gwen," 

"I'm sorry. I shouldn't have reacted the way I did. It was wrong of me," 

He crossed to her. "It's okay, there's nothing to apologize for. I should have been more sensitive--"

"You were only trying to help me; you have nothing to apologize for." She embraced him. "You were right. It may come tomorrow, it may come in ten years. I can't worry myself like this." 

"I'm glad you think so. It isn't healthy." He rested his chin on her head. 

She sighed. "Do you think we'll be alright?" 

"I hope so, darling. I hope so," 

~~~

The next day, Gwen and Caspian sat with the council. 

"Lord Alexander, what's the report on the Lone Islands?" Caspian asked. 

The lord stood. "Lord Bern has written, giving us a report. He also congratulates you on your marriage. He says that the Islands are rid of the slave traders, thanks to the soldiers that were sent to help them. The Islands are at peace." 

Gwen shivered as she remembered the encounter they had with the slave traders, then nearly smiled as she remembered Caspian saving her. 

"Wonderful. Captain Drinian, how is the navy?" 

Drinian stood as the lord sat. "Ready and willing to go out when the need be, Your Majesty." 

"Have all of the wounded recovered well enough from the last voyage?" Gwen asked. 

Drinian smiled. "Yes, my queen. They've all recovered with no other problems." 

"And the other lords, they've all gotten back to their places?" Caspian asked. 

"They have," Trumpkin responded. 

"Right. And what else is there?" 

Trumpkin and Lord Gaspar glanced at each other. 

"What's the problem, my lords?" Caspian asked. 

"Well," Lord Gaspar started, "there has been some news of some of the outer lands grumbling. It isn't anything large, it's just some here and there. It's nothing too serious, but it is enough to where it does need to be addressed."

"So be it. Between the two of you, take care of that matter. Come back to me privately with the information and any updates." 

They both bowed. 

"Right, meeting adjourned," 

The lords began to leave, Caspian and Gwen staying behind. Gwen stood from her throne, gazing at Caspian. He rubbed his forehead, sighing. 

"That took a while," he said. 

"That was a bit longer than usual," Gwen agreed. "But we had a lot to check up on."

"We need to keep on task today, but I think we both need a break," Caspian said. 

"I agree. I'm quite tired,"

Caspian looked at her as he stood. "I have an idea. I'll be back. Stay here." 

He hurried out of the door, absent for a few minutes. She twirled the rings on her finger, waiting anxiously.