Chapter 51

Gwen took a breath before opening the door to Caspian's study. She wished the nausea would just go away. But, according to how it had been the past few days, it would go away soon.  She entered and stood behind him, wrapping her arms below his neck. "Good morning, my king." 

He turned his head, smiling once he saw her. "Good morning, darling," 

"Happy birthday," 

"Thank you." He stood up, embracing her. 

"Are you ready for your special day? I have a lot of good things . . . planned," 

He quirked a brow. "Oh, really?" 

She smiled and nodded. "Mhm. Now, I'll see you at breakfast, I have some things I have to finish for your ball tonight. I love you," 

"I love you too," 

~~~

"Okay, move that vase over to the right slightly," Gwen said. 

The servant moved it over and stopped when Gwen hummed. 

"That's it! Perfect, thank you," 

Everything was in order for the ball in the next two hours. She and Caspian were going to have their dinner alone, all according to her plan. After they were done eating, she would give him his gift. 

Gwen brushed her dress down and sighed. Thankfully Maria, Tamera, and her other ladies had fixed her dress and it fit her much better. She turned to observe the table. Everything was in place. This was it. 

Caspian walked in and she met him halfway. 

"Happy birthday, again, love." She kissed him. "Everything's ready, I hope you're hungry. We have all of your favorites."

~~~

Gwen was quiet for most of the meal and Caspian noted it. She hadn't been this quiet all day and they had spent the whole day together, except for a few moments here and there. He gazed out of the corner of his eyes, seeing her hands shaking. She had only picked at her food. 

"Darling, are you feeling well? You've hardly eaten a thing," 

She swallowed. "Uh, yes. I'm just . . . uh . . . nervous--uh, ready to present your surprise."

"Oh darling, you didn't have to get me anything." He rubbed his thumb across her hand. Her palm was clammy. 

"Well, um, this was . . . sort of unexpected but it works. Are you ready?" She stood.

"Yes. Of course," He wouldn't lie to himself; he was excited to hear and see what she had gotten him. 

He watched as her hand spread against her stomach. "You're going to be a father," she blurted. 

He felt his heart stop. Or at least it felt that way. He couldn't breathe. He stared at her. "Wh--W--What?"

Her hopeful expression dropped, fear forming in her eyes. "You're--you're not happy?"

He scoffed out two laughs, a smile steadily growing. He had never felt so happy in his entire life. The closest he could even relate it to was their wedding day. He crossed to her. He took her shaking hands in his own that were quivering.

 "Darling, I'm . . . I'm elated! I can't believe it. Are you sure? How long? When?"

Her shoulders fell as she heaved a breath. A smile began to grow. "I don't know exactly when. It will still be quite a while. I've been hiding it for a month and a half. I think I'm two months along." 

He embraced her, joy overflowing throughout him. "I can't believe it. This is the best gift I could ever have been given. You're going to be such a wonderful mother." 

She smiled. "And you're going to be a wonderful father,"

His smile fell. "That's what I'm worried about. My father was never here, so, how--"

"Darling, don't doubt yourself. I know without a doubt you're going to be the best father in all of Narnia." 

"Your Majesties," 

They turned at Trumpkin and Drinian walking in. 

"The guests are ready for you both,"

Gwen and Caspian looked at each other. They knew that once they walked out of those doors to the ball, their lives were going to drastically change. 

"Are you ready?" He offered her his arm. 

She took it, weaving her fingers through his. "As long as I'm with you," 

"I love you, Gwendolyn," 

"I love you, too, Caspian,"