Chapter 26

Gwen and Caspian wove through the crew, finding Lucy and Edmund.

"Ed, Lu," Gwen started. 

They gave their attention to the couple, suspecting what may have been coming. 

"We have something to tell you." Gwen looked at Caspian, grinning uncontrollably. 

"We're getting married," Caspian said. 

Lucy and Edmund turned to each other, smiling widely. 

"Finally!" Ed exclaimed. He embraced Gwen then Caspian, Lucy following suit. 

"We've been waiting for this for two weeks." Lucy laughed. 

"I finally realized what. . . I. . . I needed to." Gwen sniffed as tears of joy sprung. "I couldn't have done it without Aslan. He showed me." 

"I was waiting for the right time, and it just came out," Caspian said. "It was about time." 

Drinian came up from behind, halting the exchange. "Your Majesty, the crew are all present." 

The joy of the occasion was overtaken by the somberness of their surroundings and mission. 

Caspian nodded. He kissed Gwen's hand quickly as he left to the stairs that led to the helm. 

"No matter what happens here, every soul who stands before me has earned their place on the crew of the Dawn Treader."  He projected as he stood before the crew. 

Gwen watched in pride as her new fiancé was encouraging his subjects. He was a wonderful king, and she couldn't wait to see him doing more of his role. She felt as if she were in a dream but knew it to be real. 

"Together we have traveled far. Together we have faced adversity. Together we can do it again. So now is not the time to fall to fear's temptations. Be strong. Never give in. Our world. . . our Narnian lives. . . depend on it. Think of the lost souls we're here to save. Think of Aslan. Think of Narnia." 

And as Caspian stepped down, the crew erupted into shouts. 

"For Narnia!" 

"For Narnia!" 

Gwen smiled as she saw Caspian's eyes widened and he stumbled backward. She walked up to him, taking his hand. 

"Look what you did." 

He kept his look of shock as he surveyed the empowered and encouraged crew. "I. . . I didn't think I would ever--" 

"You have this gift, Caspian. Your father would be so proud of you." 

He pulled her to him, embracing her tightly. "I love you." 

"I love you too." 

Gwen suddenly felt a cold liquid substance sprinkle onto her arm. She looked ahead, seeing they were coming into the mist that surrounded the island. 

"Caspian," her voice quivered. 

His hand rubbed her back. "We'll beat this," 

"King Caspian," 

Gwen pulled away. "Go see who needs you. I'll be fine," 

He nodded and left her. 

"So, you've found someone who loves you," a taunting voice spoke. 

Gwen turned in a circle, trying to find where it came from. "Who's there?" 

"It's your aunt and your uncle," a baritone voice spoke.