Chapter 28

The boys navigated the longboat through a sea of white lilies. Gwen ran her hand in the water, playing with the flowers. Lucy had begun to do the same. 

"So what was it like when Aslan changed you back?" Edmund asked Eustace. 

Gwen gave her full attention. She couldn't wait to hear what Aslan had done for him. 

"No matter how hard I tried, I just couldn't do it myself. Then he came towards me. It sort of hurt, but it was a good pain. You know, like when you pull a thorn from your foot. Being a dragon wasn't all bad. I mean, I think I was a better dragon than I was a boy, really. I'm so sorry for being such a sop."

"It's okay, Eustace," Edmund said.

"I think I speak for all of us when we say we forgive you." Gwen smiled. 

"You are a pretty good dragon," Edmund grinned teasingly, causing everyone else to grin and laugh. 

"I wonder what it's going to be like," Gwen thought out loud. 

"What?" Eustace asked. 

"In Aslan's country. I wonder if we'll ever get to. . . get to go." 

"I guess that's a question for Aslan himself," Caspian said. 

Gwen nodded in agreement. 

"My friends," Reepicheep spoke. "We have arrived."

Everyone turned their attention to the inlet before them. A wall of water rolled all the while staying in place. 

Gwen's breath left her. It was truly a marvelous sight. 

The boat came to the shore and Caspian helped her out, still staring at the wall of water himself. 

"I can't tear my eyes away," Gwen said. 

"I hardly can myself," he replied. 

Gwen felt a hand brush her ear. As she turned her eyes, she saw Caspian tucking one of the smaller lilies behind her ear. 

"It's pretty," she said. 

"So are you." 

She blushed as she took his hand, and they followed the others. 

"Aslan," Eustace said. 

Everyone abruptly pivoted to look behind them. Aslan was there, coming before them. 

"Welcome, children. You have done well. Very well indeed. You have come far, and now your journey is at its end."

Gwen's heart lurched. She knew then that her friends were leaving her, and she wouldn't see them again for a long time. Possibly for the last time. She looked up at Caspian, who squeezed her hand. 

"Is this your country?" Lucy asked.

"No, my country lies beyond,"

"Is my father in your country?" Caspian asked.

"You can only find that out for yourself, my son. But you should know that if you continue, there is no return." 

As Caspian looked down to Gwen, she nodded, encouraging her love to go forward, despite the sudden fear that he would leave her after all. But if she lost him to his father, she would be content knowing that he was at least happy. That's all she wanted for him, was for him to be happy. 

He slowly stepped out, coming to the wall of water. He pushed his hand into the water, holding it there for a moment. 

Then, his arm fell back to his side. Relief filled Gwen as he turned, coming back to them. She saw tears forming in his eyes