Chapter 41

"How am I going to address the citizens? I didn't take Public Speaking in school." 

Caspian couldn't help but chuckle. "Darling, you can do this. It's not that big of a deal. It's easy," 

She nodded. "Right. I've got this," 

The doors to the balcony were opened and they stepped out, meeting the roar of the citizens, human and Narnian.  

"Good morning, my fellow Narnians. I've been waiting for this moment when I'd finally be able to present a queen to you. And now, it's my honor to present my love to you. Here's your queen, Queen Gwendolyn!"

The crowd's applause was scattered. Gwen's heart thumped. She could do this. She knew she could. "Hello, dear friends. I'm beyond honored to be your queen. I wish to serve you in any way I can. As I said in my vow during my coronation, I swear to do everything I can for you. I truly do. I love Narnia with all my heart. I consider this place more of a home now, more than I ever have where I grew up. I'm but your humble servant." 

"Long live Queen Gwendolyn!" a masculine voice shouted. 

~~~
Gwen sighed as she plopped down into Caspian's chair. His study was such a welcome place at the moment.

"What's next?" she asked, tiredly.

"Well, nothing else for today," 

At Caspian's words, Gwen sighed in relief.

Caspian chuckled as he sat on the arm of the chair. "Tomorrow you have your official ride through all of the towns. It's part of the queen's duties to see if there is anything the king hasn't seen. To help the kingdom continue to prosper and grow."

"Sounds easy enough." She nodded. 

"The people love you," he said.

She looked up at him. "You think so?"

"Did you not hear them earlier? They were cheering your name."

She softly smiled. "Yes. I didn't deserve that. I just . . . I don't want to let them down."

He kissed her temple. "You won't. I foresee you being the greatest queen Narnia has ever had."

"I hope so,"

A knock sounded and Caspian answered. Trumpkin entered, bowing quickly. 

"Your Majesty, news from the outskirts." He held out a piece of rolled parchment. 

"Thank you." Caspian took it, pulling the ribbon. 

Trumpkin sent a wink to Gwen, and she returned it before he left. Gwen looked to Caspian. He breathed heavily. 

"Love, what's wrong?" 

He looked at her. "The outskirts suffered a massive fire outbreak. If I'm reading this right, everything near the front of the town burned. The back wasn't as affected but still gained considerable damage. There's a few uncalled for and five dead."

She gasped. "Oh, no. Those poor people." She crossed to him, rubbing his back. 

He shook his head. "I . . . My subjects . . ." 

"Well, don't we have my official trip tomorrow? Well, as queen, I decide that's where we're visiting." 

He nodded, unable to speak. 

It pained Gwen's heart seeing him so troubled. "Don't worry. We'll help. I need the servants gathered together. We'll need supplies to take. They need to be gathering now because we may need much."