Chapter 8

Caspian's gaze landed on Gwen's lips, suddenly wishing he could kiss her. Then he realized how much he had leaned in. He couldn't kiss her. He had only known her for a few days. 

But being around her felt so right. Having her near him made him so calm in the trying time Narnia and himself were going through. He had a few things in common with her, she was kind, caring, loving those that were close to her dearly. She seemed to be strong and could take initiative if she needed to. She was truly everything he could look for in a girl. 

He pulled back, directing his gaze to his feet. 

"I...I should get your hand finished." Gwen whispered.

"Gwen, I--"

"Please. Don't," she whispered, shaking her head. 

His shoulders fell as he silently let Gwen finish his hand. 

"There you are. I have to go. I hope it heals right." 

Gwen tried to hurry off, but he caught her hand. 

"I'm sorry," he said. 

Gwen nodded, unable to meet his eyes. He gently let go of her hand and she scurried off. 

~~~

She pressed against the wall of the tunnel, taking heavy breaths. 

She had nearly kissed Prince Caspian. He had nearly kissed her. 

She had wanted him to. She had wanted him to kiss her. 

She needed to talk to Peter.

 No, she couldn't talk to him about that. He had made her promise she would keep away from Caspian. There was no telling what he would do if he found out about this.  

Susan. She needed to talk to Susan. She would understand. 

Susan was already heading down the tunnel, seeming shocked when she saw Gwen. 

"Gwen. What are you doing here?"

"I need to talk to you." 

Susan stopped before her. "What is it? You look distressed." 

"Caspian nearly kissed me. And I wanted him to." 

Susan was silent for a moment, unsure of how to respond to her friend's predicament. 

"You...You have feelings for him?" 

"All I know is I'm delighted when I'm around him, he makes me feel...appreciated and important, not unloved and lonely. Did Peter tell you what I found about a little while ago?"

She nodded. 

"I have family here. My mother...she was a Narnian. That's why I've felt so connected to this place. And before you bring it up, no, I was feeling this way about Caspian before I found out about my mother."  

"But we may not be here for much longer." 

Gwen sighed, tears coming up. "I know, Susan. I've tried fighting it off. But...ever since we met him a few days ago...I can't tear myself away from the feeling. I can't stop it. I don't know what to do." 

"I've seen how he looks at you." Susan gently smiled. "He has feelings for you too, I think. I'd even say he's smitten." 

Gwen choked back a sob. "That's the thing. If he does, it's going to hurt even more when we have to leave. I don't want to go." 

Gwen ran into Susan for an embrace that she quickly supplied. Susan didn't know what to do. She wanted to tell her friend to be logical and think with her head, but she knew that wasn't the right response. This was a situation when the heart was leading, and what delicate situations those were.