Chapter 44

Gwen wandered into Caspian's study late that night. She knocked on the door.

"Come in,"

She opened the door, finding an exhausted Caspian sitting behind his desk, his head resting in his palms.

"Caspian? Are you alright?" She pulled her shawl closer in the drafty room as she came closer to him.

He rubbed his temples. "Yes and no. I'm exhausted. There is so much going on right now and a lot of things I have to figure out."

She rubbed his shoulder. "I'm sorry. Are you nearly done? I don't want you to work yourself to where you can't function."

He stood up and kissed her head. "I'm fine. I have one or two more things to do, then I'll get some sleep, alright?"

"Is this what had you running to meet with the council earlier?" 

"Yes, sadly,"

She gave him a look. "Well?" 

"I don't want to worry you," 

"I want to know what's going on," 

"The outer cities that were having the grumblings? Well, they've become more prevalent. I'm sending out one of the lords to investigate. Whatever it is, I'm sure it will be resolved soon." 

"And you have the final decision on what happens?"

"Yes, they just advise on the matters and reports and go out when need be. I make the final decision."

She nodded and pecked his lips. "You can do this. I believe in you. You're a wonderful, wise, king. I love you."

"I hope so. I love you too,"

~~~  

"I can't believe this. We've been married for two months now." Gwen said as she leaned on Caspian's arm. 

"Neither can I. But I must say, I like this whole being married thing," 

She looked up at him, eyebrow cocked. "Being married in general or being married to me?" 

Caspian's mouth twisted. "Now that I'll have to think about,"

She scoffed and Caspian smiled. 

"Come on, we have to get to the throne room. We have citizens to serve," 

"I'm nervous. This is the first time I've done this," 

"It's easy, we just listen to what they have to say and see how we can help. Just remember what I told you earlier,"

When Gwen and Caspian entered, citizens were already present and waiting. She took a breath and Caspian nodded. Everyone bowed as the two young rulers sat.

"Presenting Sir Florian," 

Gwen smiled down at the man. "What can King Caspian and I do for you?" 

"My Queen, the village I am leading has fallen into a bout of lawlessness. I was wondering if King Caspian could do something to help." He turned, holding his hat in his hands. 

Caspian gave a nod. "Of course. Stay here until the hearings are over and I'll speak with you about the matter." 

The man bowed twice. "Thank you, Your Majesty, thank you." 

"Next!" Drinian called out. 

Another walked into the hall and was clad in a black robe. 

A sense of unease washed over Gwen, but she smiled toward the hooded stranger anyway. "What may King Caspian and I do for you?" 

The stranger darkly chuckled. "King Caspian of Narnia . . ." The male voice held a scratchy quality, where the person had either drank relentlessly for years on end or they were still growing into adulthood. "More like Usurper of Narnia."

Caspian shot up from his throne. "Who are you?"

The guards began to unsheathe their swords.

No answer came. 

"I will ask you again, who are you?" Caspian's voice held a calm yet authoritative quality. 

Gwen's hands tightly grasped the knobs on the armrests of the throne.

The stranger pulled his hood down with his coarse and cracked hands, revealing a dark-haired, dark-eyed boy. He couldn't be younger than seventeen. 

"I am Alejandro, son of Pruniprismia and the Late King Miraz. You killed my father. And now I'm going to kill you and take back the throne that is rightfully mine."

An audible gasp echoed across the room and Gwen looked over to Caspian. His mouth hung open and his eyes widened. 

"Be ready for the battle that will cost you and your little wife your lives," 

"Seize him!" Drinian shouted. And in a puff of black smoke, Caspian's cousin was gone.

~~~

"Alright, quiet!" Caspian shouted. The council silenced and Caspian looked down at Gwen. She nodded reassuringly. "Now I know that this is a shock to all of you and it is to me as well, but we have to contain ourselves."

"I thought that Miraz's widow took Aslan's offer to go back to the land of our forefathers!" a lord exclaimed. "She took the child with her!"

"They did, but he must have gotten back somehow." Caspian said. 

"He practices the same dark magic as the White Witch! We saw how he disappeared!" 

"Or, perhaps, my lord, he just bought it from a practitioner," Gwen said. 

The lord silenced, nodding. 

"My mother somehow left Narnia with Aslan's permission, so, perhaps Aslan allowed him back here," she added. 

"Why would Aslan allow him back?!" 

"I believe your cousin has been the reason behind all the grumblings and trouble that has been breaking out, Your Majesty." Trumpkin said. 

"I do as well," Lord Gaspar said.

Caspian sighed as he sat in his chair. "Keep everyone on high alert. Be ready for anything. You're all free." 

The lords slowly dispersed, but Gaspar came forward. 

"Your Majesties, I will personally do everything I can to stop this. I'll speak with Lord Trumpkin and the others, but I--with your permission, of course--will take care of as much as I can." 

Gwen began to walk away, speaking with Trumpkin quickly. She finished and turned back to Caspian, finding him and Lord Gaspar speaking. 

"Look into that immediately, will you?" She heard him whisper. 

Gaspar bowed. "Of course." He looked at Gwen, inclining his head. "Queen Gwendolyn." 

She smiled. 

"How long were we in here?" Caspian asked once they were alone. 

"An hour." She came to him, placing her hand on his shoulder. 

"I should have heeded Aslan's warning better. Maybe then--"

"No, don't you start doubting and blaming yourself. You didn't know what to prepare for because you didn't know what was coming. You couldn't have."

He nodded. "I . . . I met my cousin. And . . . he's just like Miraz,"

"I'm so sorry, love. I wish I could do more to help. It's terrible. He doesn't look much younger than seventeen. If that would be correct, I'm only two years older. Which, logically and scientifically can't be." She chuckled. "I sound like Susan now. I'm sorry, I'm terribly off-topic. Is there anything I can do?" 

"Sit with me." He pulled her down to his lap. 

"Caspian, there are people--" 

"I don't care. I just want to hold my wife as I try to figure out what I'm going to do about this situation." His arm tightened around her. 

She sighed in defeat. "I'm here,"