Chapter 27

"Lucy, get out of here!" Gwen shouted. 

Lucy hastily ushered Gael to the middle of the boat and Gwen stood in shock as she stared at the creature. 

No wonder it was one of Edmund's fears. 

She felt a hand grasp her arm and pull her back. 

"Get behind me!" Edmund shouted. 

She obeyed as she stood next to Lucy and Gael. The young girl trembled and Lucy's hands were shaking. Gwen quivered as the crewmen surrounded them.

Eustace flew from behind, attacking the serpent. The serpent blindly waved back and forth, damaging the boat while trying to be rid of Eustace. 

It succeeded, slamming poor Eustace against a jagged rock. Eustace retaliated, breathing a  great amount of fire, injuring the serpent. 

As they could, they ventured to the side of the ship, watching in fearful astonishment as the serpent crashed into the water. 

A glimmer of hope blossomed in Gwen. Could it have been that easy of a defeat?

Eustace staggered as he tried to set himself up on top of the rock. He was clearly injured. 

"Out, creature!" Lord Rhoop shouted, throwing his sword at Eustace. 

Gwen gasped in horror. In the blink of an eye, the sword stabbed Eustace and he flew away. 

Lord Rhoop began to panic. "We're all doomed! Doomed!" he chanted. 

The lord forcibly took over the wheel, throwing everyone down once again. The crewmen took care of the issue, knocking the lord out. 

"Are you alright?" Caspian asked. 

"I don't know," Gwen replied. "I don't quite know how to process anything at the moment."

"We're going to get through this." 

She nodded. "Aslan will help us."

"I hope so. If not. . ."

 The consequences of Aslan's absence in the battle were clear. They would all die. 

"What can I do to help?" 

"I don't want you out here in this." 

"I shall help whether you wish me to or not. I'm your fiancée and I will not leave your side in this," she argued. "I'm helping in any way I can. This is going to be my home too and my people. I'm fighting for them and with them." 

Caspian couldn't help but smile at his love's determination.  "Fine. Stay at the wheel with Drinian where I know you'll be as safe as possible. Have those daggers ready." 

She hurriedly embraced him. "I love you." 

"And I you." 

Right as they pulled apart, the creature surfaced again. As she hurried up the stairs, the serpent dove into the ship, winding its round body around it. 

Wood snapped and crashed, sending crewmen to the ground. The crewman handling the wheel fell to the deck. 

"No!" Gwen exclaimed. 

"Grab the wheel!" 

Gwen latched her hands around the pegs of the wheel, forcing it to stop spinning. She began to lose her grip from the water falling onto it. She needed help; she couldn't do this on her own. 

Caspian watched as Lucy whirled Gael away, then he saw Gwen struggling at the wheel. He hurried to the wheel, taking hold of the other side. 

"Thank you," Gwen breathily said.