Chapter 20

Caspian watched as Gwen helped the bustling crewmates. She had given her assist for a few days now since they left Coriakin's island. She had been making sure the crew had enough water in the sweltering heat, bandaging wounds gained through mishaps, and other little things here and there. 

The crew had approached Caspian, expressing their appreciation for Gwen's kindness and care. A few had even asked her for advice on some matters they dealt with. 

"She's wise, Your Majesty. Once she and the King and Queen leave, Narnia will be losing a good woman." 

Caspian nodded. "I agree with you. Thank you for letting me know." 

The crewman bowed. An idea came to Caspian. 

"Do you know of anyone who has a background in masonry on this vessel?" 

The crewman was silent for a second. "Jameson, Your Majesty. He works below deck."

Caspian nodded. "Thank you."

The crewman bowed and went back to his post. 

Caspian was still waiting to propose to Gwen, but it never seemed the right time. He didn't care that they hadn't kissed yet or admitted any feelings. He loved her and wanted to marry her as soon as he could.  He wanted to make sure he was doing the right thing. He knew in his heart he was; he just needed some form of confirmation. 

Caspian turned to a crewman. "Send for Drinian to meet me in my quarters, please," 

"Yes, Your Majesty,"

Caspian paced as he waited for Drinian to arrive. A knock came several minutes later. 

"Come in," 

Drinian opened the door and bowed. "Your Majesty," 

"Drinian. I wish to speak to you in the utmost confidence,"

"Of course," 

"What do you think of Gwen?"

Drinian didn't seem shocked by the question. "I think she's a kind young woman with a good heart. You've seen her actions the past few days. The crew's more stressed than they were before and she's trying to make it easier on them. I hear the crew sayin' how wise she seems to be for a girl so young. Rhince told me of how well Miss Gwendolyn treats his daughter. If I can speak freely, sir, I like the lass." 

Caspian tried to keep back a smile. He cleared his throat. "Well, if she agrees, I plan to ask her to marry me. I wanted to get your advice on that since. . . my father isn't here." 

"I think you couldn't make a better choice," 

Caspian nodded, feeling relieved. "Thank you, Drinian," 

He bowed and left. 

Caspian collapsed onto his bed, head swirling. He was going to follow through with it; he was planning to the whole time, even if Drinian decided against it. But now it was official. He had Edmund's permission, now he just needed Lucy's. 

Of course, Gwen had to accept so there was also that. 

And he had to find a ring.

Caspian left his cabin and began searching for Lucy. He found her leaning over the deck railing. 

"Lucy, may I speak with you? Privately?" 

She smiled. "Of course. Is it about Gwen?" she whispered. 

Caspian was taken aback. "How--how did you--"

She laughed. "I could tell right before we left last time. There is such a connection between the both of you, it can be seen by everyone. Plus, Edmund's been talking to me about it." 

"Well, then, I think you may know what I'm about to ask. Can I have your permission to ask Gwen to be my wife? I already asked Edmund and he gave it." 

Lucy smiled, a hint of sadness lingering. "Yes, you have mine. Just. . . take care of my dear sister. It's quite hard for her to understand that she deserves to be loved after all of the rubbish she's gone through. She loves you dearly, Caspian. I have no doubt that you'll find it out from her soon enough."

Caspian nodded, relief filling him. "Don't worry, I'm going to protect her with my life and love her as much as I can to make up for what she's had done to her." 

"Good." 

Now all he had to do was get the ring. 

~~~
Gwen and Gael sat across from each other playing a game of checkers. Granted, the checkers themselves were pieces of cork from casks of drinks, but they worked well enough. 

"I like this game." Gael grinned. 

"And you're quite good at it for this being your first go at it." Gwen laughed. "Are you sure you've never played before?" 

Gael nodded as she moved her piece of cork to jump one of Gwen's. 

Gwen moaned. "I can't believe I didn't see that," 

Gael giggled. Gwen moved her piece and then Gael moved hers. 

"What's going on here?" 

Gwen turned to see Caspian smiling down. Gael stood up and bobbed a curtsy. 

"Please, don't worry about that," Caspian assured her and the young girl smiled. 

"We're playing checkers. It's partly like chess, but less complicated. Gael's beating me."

"Oh. You'll have to teach me one day," 

Gwen hesitantly smiled. "Seems I will," 

Caspian smiled and left to below deck. He found the man, Jameson, fixing up some boards. 

"Your Majesty." He bowed. 

"Jameson. I've heard from a crew member that you have experience with metalwork and masonry. I need something made."

The man wiped his hands on his trousers, ridding them of grime. "Whatever His Majesty needs, I would be honored to make. I don't have the sufficient materials here, however." 

"Thank you. I do need the utmost discretion, however. And don't worry, it isn't something I need at the exact moment." 

He nodded. "What would you like me to do, Your Majesty?"

~~~

Gwen tossed and turned that night. She felt uneasy. Something didn't feel right in their cabin.

"Gwendolyn," a voice whispered. 

She shot up, frantically searching the room. She knew that voice anywhere. It had reprimanded her and put her down too many times. 

"Gwendolyn," 

A faint shadow appeared in the corner of the room, a green tint to it. "He doesn't care for you. He never will." 

"No!" Gwen hid her face in her palms. 

"Gwen?" 

She jerked to find Lucy sitting up. She took heavy breaths. She knew Caspian cared for her; it was evident. He did. He cared for her. 

And she cared for him. She loved him. With all her heart. She loved him. 

"Are you okay?"

Gwen fought to catch her breath. "Yes. I'm fine. Just. . . just a bad dream." 

Her test had begun.