Chapter 18

Caspian walked through his castle, searching for someone. He wasn't sure who, but he was searching hard. 

He busted through the doors of his study, finding a feminine figure waiting for him. Clad in a beautiful fancy blue gown and white veil cascading over her hair, the young woman turned and smiled. 

His breath left him. 

It was Gwen.

"Gwendolyn," he murmured. 

"Caspian," she grinned as she took his hand. "I'm quite happy to finally be your--"

Caspian shot up, gasping for breath. 

It was all a dream. 

A wonderful dream. 

What was Gwen saying as his dream ended? She was happy to be his what? 

"Caspian." 

He jumped at the deep voice, pulling his sword. "Who's there?" 

The voice resembled Aslan's. "Do you love her?" 

Caspian had no hesitation. "Yes. Aslan, is it you?" 

"Marry her." 

He breathed heavily. Marry Gwen. The thought made him smile. 

But could he actually ask her to be his wife? She was all he ever thought about.  He had tried courting all of the other girls his council had brought in, but none of them could live up to Gwen. 

He loved her. 

"I don't know if that was you Aslan, but I. . . I love her. I'll marry her. I'll marry Gwen." 

"Caspian? Caspian?" 

Caspian shot up from sleep and whipped around to find Edmund awake in his own hammock, staring at him. He took a breath. 

"I'm sorry, Ed, I must have been dreaming." He sighed. 

"But you were talking about marrying Gwen." Edmund popped up his eyebrow. 

Aslan must have spoken to him in the dream. He brushed his hair back from his eyes and looked at Edmund. "I've fallen in love with her. I. . . wish, I hope that Aslan will allow her to stay. I can't be apart from her again. These past three years, it's like my heart has been in the process of being extracted from my chest."

"You know it's only been a year for us, right?" 

Caspian nodded. 

"Gwen would bring you up in conversations so many times. She couldn't stop. Then when she was finished, the joyful look in her eyes turned to pain. I heard from Susan that she likes you." Edmund grinned. "You have my blessing." 

"Truly?" 

"You're a good man, Caspian. I have no doubt you'd treat our sister right." 

"Thank you, Edmund." He nodded. 

Edmund returned it and laid back again. Caspian slid out of his hammock, heading to the deck. It was still dark out, but the sun was beginning its ascent. He leaned over the railing of the ship, taking in the salty and fishy air. 

He determined then in his mind, that he would ask Gwen as soon as the opportunity was right. 

He would ask her to stay in Narnia and be his wife.

~~~

Gwen awoke feeling refreshed from the long day that they had endured before. 

The sun was starting to rise, the sky glowing pink and orange against the brightening blue.