Chapter 30

"So, Lady Gwendolyn, I assume we shall get to know you better in the coming days?"

Gwen folded her hands in her lap. "Yes, sir. Tomorrow, I'll be meeting with the rest of King Caspian's council for an . . . interview." She nearly said 'interrogation'.

"Oh, yes. I was the one who suggested it."

"Oh," 

The carriage bumped, causing everyone to jostle. The motion almost mimicked the beating of her heart. Hard and unruly.

Caspian and Lord Gaspar spoke but Gwen paid no heed. She was too busy looking out of the window at Narnia.

The afternoon sun was high and hot, beaming through the open windows. The heat warmed Gwen's newly tanned arm. Weeks on the ship and in the sun had tanned her usually lighter skin.

They passed villages and small towns, Gwen recognizing them from when Caspian had been crowned King and they had the procession.

In the distance, a spire caught her eye.

"Caspi--King Caspian, is this it?" She pointed. "I can't remember, it's been too long."

He smiled widely. "Yes, my darling, that is home."

Her heart fluttered.

Home. She was so happy to hear that. She couldn't believe that she had a place she could call her own home.

The carriage arrived at the castle and Gwen took a shaky breath. Her hands quivered. She looked at Caspian, her anxiety written plainly across her features. He gave her a small nod, giving her some courage.

Then the carriage rolled to a stop.

"May I say a word, Lady Gwendolyn?"

She turned to the lord. "Of course,"

"Everyone here has kind hearts. You have no need for worry."

She inhaled and exhaled through her mouth. "Thank you, Lord Gaspar."

Servants bustled outside, completing their assigned tasks. Some stopped what they were doing, staring at the carriage. Most smiled, some waved, all bowed.

Gwen could tell that the people also loved Caspian and that they were glad to see him return.

The door opened, revealing a guard who bowed.

"Your Majesty,"

Caspian stepped out of the carriage, patting the guard's shoulder in greeting. Gaspar was next, then it was Gwen's turn.

This was it. There was no going back after this. Once she stepped out of the carriage, she had sealed her future.

With a nervous but excited breath, she took Caspian's hand and stepped out.

~~~

After Caspian had spoken here and there with the servants, they finally came inside the castle. Gwen looked around, smiling. It was exactly how she remembered it.

"It hasn't changed one bit," she muttered.

"Decorating is not something I'm well familiarized with." Caspian chuckled.

"Well, I may just take over that task." she smiled, which he returned.

"Your Majesty, I have some matters I'd like to discuss with you," Gaspar said.

"Of course." He turned to Gwen. "I'm going to lead you to your chambers, and you should have some ladies there to help you. I'm sorry I can't do more at the moment."