Chapter 13

Three years had passed. Caspian began to board the Dawn Treader, a ship in the Narnian navy. His newest mission was finding the seven missing lords that had been so loyal to his father.

"Welcome aboard, King Caspian." the Captain, Drinian, bowed.

"Thank you," Caspian said.

They conversed for a few moments, but then as Caspian turned around, he stopped abruptly.

His eyes widened as he quickly came to the side of the ship. A young woman was walking along the docks in the distance. He sighed as he realized it was just one of the village girls.

It wasn't Gwen.

Happy times had come since she and the Pevensies had left, but he had also been downright near miserable without her.

Every black-haired, brown-eyed girl that passed he turned, thinking it was the girl that he had fallen for.

"Your Majesty? Is everything alright?" Drinian asked.

Caspian sighed. "Yes. I just...I thought I saw someone I knew."

"Oh, someone special, sir? You turned mighty quick."

"Yes, Drinian. Very."

~~~

"Gwendolyn! Get down here!"

Gwen's heart raced. What had she done now? Were they going to condemn her for another innocent mistake on her birthday?

Gwen hurried down the stairs, making sure all the while to not make too much noise.

"Yes, ma'am?"

Uncle Robert and Aunt Ellen both stood at the open front door. A strange car waited outside.

"Gwendolyn," Robert said. "We are expecting a baby to come sometime soon."

That came as a shock to her. But that explained the weight Ellen had gained recently.

"We can't have you here taking up valuable room for our child. The car out front will be waiting on you to gather your belongings. You're leaving."

Gwen stumbled backward. They were kicking her out? With no place else to go? And into the winter's chill?

"But...you...can't do this. It's my birthday, at least give me until tomorrow to have things ready. I have nowhere else to go!"

"Watch your tongue!" Robert belted.

Gwen jumped and looked down.

"Go gather your things now! You're lucky we at least give you the chance to! Some chaps throw people out on the street without a thing to their name! We're being gracious to you, you insolent child!"

Gwen winced. Tears began to well, but she wouldn't let them see her cry.

She turned around and charged up the stairs. She pulled her two suitcases out of her closet and stuffed as many of her things into them as she could. She wished that she still had her third suitcase but it had finally broken.

Tears rolled down her cheeks. She couldn't believe this was happening.

Gwen sighed and shook her head unhappily at the memory as she stood behind the white screens, helping give check ups to the young men who were enlisting into Her Majesty's army.

Times had been hard for Gwen since she left Narnia. So much had gone on in just a year.

After she had been kicked out of her aunt and uncle's home, she had nowhere else to go. She had no clue what to do.