Chapter 32

Later, Caspian gave Gwen the tour of the castle.

"I feel so relieved now that I know they approve of me. I'm shocked that they do, especially since I'm an . . . outsider," she said.

"Well, you're part Narnian. That helped their decision, I'm sure. But how could they not love you?"

She smiled at the praise. "Well, I'm ready to start planning,"

"As am I. Tomorrow will be the ball in celebration of our engagement. Then we can put our all into planning."

Gwen watched servants down the corridor, working hard.

"They're putting their all into the ball preparations," she said. "They're hard workers."

"They are. I'll reward them once we get back from our honeymoon,"

"What can we do to shorten the time span? Must we really wait two more months? I know one has passed since the missive was sent but still."

"I'm afraid so. There's not one thing we can do,"

She leaned against this arm. "Well, at least it isn't years away."

"If it were years away, I'd carry you off and find a priest who would marry us as soon as he possibly could."

Gwen laughed loudly. Silence enveloped them for another few minutes as they soaked in each other's company, walking down corridors of the castle.

"And through that door is where the male staff sleep." Caspian pointed.

"There are so many rooms. More than I've been able to count,"

"There are quite a few. I know I told you this was the last place I wanted to show you, but there is one more thing I want to show you. It's something you must know about anyway."

She quirked a brow. "Well?"

He smiled. "Watch." He pulled his hand out of Gwen's and crossed to the sconce on the wall. He pulled it down and Gwen gasped.

"A passageway? There's passageways?"

"All throughout the castle. There's an opening in every bedroom and a few other places." He grabbed the torch out of the tunnel, pressing it against a lit candle. "Come with me."

"Gladly!"

She took his hand and they entered, the door closing behind them as Caspian pulled another lever.

"The servants have their own routes. But a few of them know about ours. They come in and keep cobwebs from forming every so often. They make sure it's safe in the event of anything happening."

"Where are you leading me to?"

"Your room,"

She gasped. "So, there's one to my room?"

"Yes," he chuckled as her eyes glistened in the firelight. "And we're actually almost there. If you ever need to get out of the castle and you're separated from me, don't take any of the turns in any of the tunnels. Just keep straight and it will lead you to where you'll be safe. Ah, here we are. You don't have a fire going in your room, do you?"

"No,"

He pulled the lever on the wall and part of the wall swung open. He placed the torch in the sconce and helped Gwen out.

When she turned around, she saw they had come out of her fireplace. "So, the tunnel is through my fireplace?"

"Yes, some of the rooms are like that. Others have other means of entry. I have to get back to work. I've got to sort some matters out."