Chapter 7

Gwen collapsed to the floor. "But--but--how?" she blurted. 

"Aileen left home, wanting a different life. She wanted more than what was here. I remember our parents getting into arguments with her about it. She must have found some way out of Narnia.  It was my ninth birthday when we found out she left. She had left a gift for me on the table. Our family was heartbroken. But now..." he paused, staring at Gwen. "Now that you're here, I see her in you. I don't...Gwen...I don't know what to say." 

Gwen gasped for breath. "That's...why I've felt...so comfortable...here. I'm part Narnian. And you're my uncle." 

In a split second, she threw her arms around him in an embrace. Trumpkin steeled for a moment then returned it. 

Tears dripped down her cheeks. "Narnia was the land Mother would talk about in my bedtime stories. I've heard of Narnia all my life, it's always been with me." 

"Indeed it has." Trumpkin's voice shook. 

"I have a true family." 

"I will be the best uncle that I can be. What about your aunt and uncle in England? What have they done to you?" 

Gwen began to explain, pouring out everything. He was the first person besides the Pevensies she had breathed any of it to. 

Trumpkin took his niece's hands in his own. "I'm sorry that I've been so hard toward you in the past, I shouldn't have--"

Gwen wiped away tears, dried and new. "It's okay. We didn't know." she laughed. 

He smiled. "I'm so glad I found you." 

"I am too. I feel more at home with you and the Narnians than I've ever felt in England. You feel more like family than Aunt Ellen and Uncle Robert ever have and I've barely known you a few days." 

"I hope that it stays that way." 

"I do too. I--I need some time to process all of this. I'll be back shortly." 

Gwen walked into the tunnel that led to the stone table room. She couldn't believe it. She was part Narnian. Part of her wanted to be as skeptical as she could be and contradict every little thing Trumpkin had told her. 

But she had such peace about it, she knew it was true. When she arrived in the room, the most curious thing was happening. 

Ice was beginning to cover the wall where the carving of Aslan was. Caspian was being pushed toward it. Whatever this was, it wasn't good. 

Gwen stepped quietly, but then she accidentally stepped on a rock, it making a scraping noise. Nikabrik, one of the dwarves that was close with Trumpkin and some type of bird-woman turned, seeing Gwen. 

"Stop her!" Nikabrik shouted. 

Gwen hurried to run and call for help, letting out a scream. Nikabrik caught her. Despite his short stature, he was stronger and had the upper hand, pushing Gwen closer to the horrid scene. Her palms slammed into the floor as she caught herself.  

"Gwen," Caspian murmured in horror. "Let her go!" 

Gwen looked up at the wall of ice, seeing a woman inside of it. Her glare was as cold as the ice she was encased in. 

"Prince Caspian, whatever this is, don't do it!" Gwen exclaimed. 

Gwen shouted in pain as Nikabrik kicked her ribs, sending her closer to the ground. 

Agonizing seconds passed, but relief came as Gwen heard Peter's voice. 

"STOP!" he shouted. 

Gwen heard howling and swords clanging as she was released. She looked up seeing Caspian drawing nearer to the woman in the ice.