Chapter 40

Gwen let a breath out as she took Caspian's arm. 

"Are you ready?" He looked down at her. 

"To be crowned Queen of Narnia? Yes and no,"

"You are going to be just fine. I'll be standing directly in front of you. You have nothing to worry about. What could possibly go wrong?"

Gwen nodded. He was right. Nothing could go wrong. She had just gotten well; everything was going as planned. 

The music began to play as Gwen and Caspian walked down the aisle again. Gwen kept her eyes on what was ahead, afraid to look anywhere else. 

They came to the priest and Gwen knelt as Caspian stepped to the stair above her, but below the priest.

"Do you, Lady Gwendolyn, swear to serve and honor Narnia and her people?"

"I swear," 

"Do you swear to never do damage and abide by its laws and rules?" 

"I swear," 

"And do you swear to always support the king in his actions of ruling Narnia?"

"I swear," Gwen lifted her voice. 

Gwen watched as the priest grasped the five-inch-tall golden crown from the velvet pillow.  Crusted from top to bottom in diamonds, with a large ruby in the middle, Gwen silently gasped at its beauty. Caspian had refused to let her see the crown until her coronation day. He had picked it out, wanting her to have it above the rest, as he considered it the best. After all, it had been his mother's.

 "It is my pleasure to crown you, Queen Gwendolyn of Narnia," 

Applause erupted throughout the building from Telmarines and Narnians alike. The heavy crown was placed on her head, and she looked to Caspian, whose pride was evident. 

He helped her up and they walked over to their thrones, and both sat down before the congregation of still applauding people.

 A muffled commotion began beyond the closed church doors.

The doors to the church burst open and Caspian shot up, immediately standing in front of Gwen. 

A haggard old woman limped down the aisle in ragged dark clothing. 

The congregation murmured in mingled confusion and fear. The guards began to gather around the King and new Queen. 

"Who are you and why have you come here in such a way?" Caspian demanded. 

"King Caspian and Queen Gwendolyn." the old woman mocked. "Great strife will come for you both in the years to come. You both will be torn down from your thrones--" Guards took hold of the woman, pulling her away. "Ah! You and your children will be cursed from here on out!" 

Gwen clung to Caspian in fear. Who was this woman?

"Take her away!" A guard shouted. 

Drinian who had stepped in front of Caspian turned to him. "Are you well, Your Majesties?"

"Calm the congregation and wait for a safe signal. Make sure they get back to their carriages safely." Caspian took hold of Gwen.

Drinian bowed his head and hurried off. 

Gwen was gasping for breath as Caspian escorted her to one of the back rooms of the cathedral.

 All that could have gone wrong, had. 

"Breathe, darling, breathe," 

"Caspian, what was she talking about?  What--" 

He took her hands in his. "I was told something like this happened at my father's coronation. It's people who want to scare us into backing away from our duty. It's happened many times before."