Chapter 14

Caspian opened double doors, leading into a bright room that resembled a study. It was his personal quarters. They all walked in, surveying the room. 

Everything resembled items that Gwen had seen in the Pevensies' chests on her first trip. A disk with Aslan engraved into it caught Gwen's eye. She hoped he would appear to them again soon. 

"Gwen, would you like these?"

She turned to see Caspian holding her daggers out to her. 

She gasped in delight. "Please!" 

He smiled as she took them from him, tightening the belt around her waist. 

"Now I feel complete." She nodded once. 

"Susan's bow and arrows," Lucy said as she looked at them. 

"Lucy," 

She turned at Caspian's voice, grinning widely at the box in his hands. "My healing cordial and dagger! Oh, may I?" she asked before she took them. 

"Of course, they're yours," Caspian replied.

Gwen couldn't contain her smile. She couldn't believe she was back! Away from horrid England and her sad life. Back to her precious Narnia and Caspian. 

"Peter's sword," Edmund said. Everyone called their attention to it.

"Yes. Looked after it as promised. Here," Caspian held the sword out to him, "Hold it if you wish."

Edmund shook his head. "No, no, it's yours. Peter gave it to you." His tone held a bit of remorse and Gwen noted it.

"I did save this for you though." Caspian walked to another cabinet, tossing something at Edmund. It was his torch he had used when they had come last.

"Did you leave it here?" Gwen asked as she laughed.

"I did," 

"Well, I know it's run over my mind so many times already, but it's so wonderful to be back. I feel as if a burden's lifted from my shoulders." Gwen grinned. 

Lucy and Edmund smiled but shared a look as they knew the story behind the burden. 

Caspian saw the light in Gwen's eyes, but they held great fatigue. She had matured since they were here last and he knew she was a woman now, he could tell that quickly. She was no longer the same seventeen-year-old girl that had stolen his heart. Three years had passed for him, and he was nearly twenty-two. He wondered how old she was now, since time was different in Narnia. But, if he remembered correctly, there were technically two years difference between them. 

So she had to be nearly nineteen. He would ask later. 

"Please, share with us what's happened since we've left," Gwen asked. 

"Well--" 

A knock sounded on the door and Caspian replied. 

"King Caspian." A man bowed as he walked in.

"Everyone, this is Drinian. He's the captain of this vessel and a good man. Drinian, I was going to show my friends what progress we've made since their departure."

Drinian nodded and then rolled out a map onto a table. Once he did, his gaze settled on Gwen. His eyes held curiosity and one could see the wheels turning in his head. 

Despite her unease, Gwen nodded and offered a small smile. 

"Oh!" Gwen exclaimed. "Caspian, how is my uncle? Is he well?" 

 "He is. He's part of my court. He's a wonderful man. Hasn't been the same though since you left. But he isn't the only person who's . . . been affected." He stared. 

Gwen's heart fluttered at his words. "I'm so glad to hear that." 

Caspian turned away, seeming to hide a smile. "Since you left us, the Giants of the North surrendered unconditionally, then we defeated the Calormen armies at the Great Desert. There is peace across all of Narnia."

"Peace?" Edmund asked. 

"In just three years," 

"And have you found yourself a queen in those three years?" Lucy asked, hiding a smirk.

Caspian smiled. "No. No, I have not." His gaze wandered to Gwen who visibly blushed at his words. 

Gwen knew of her feelings for Caspian; they were deep, there was no doubt about that. But would she truly stay if he were to ask her? Part of her knew the answer, but then concerns flooded her mind. 

"Hang on. If there are no wars to fight and no one is in trouble, then why are we here?" Edmund asked.

"It's a good question. I've been asking myself the same thing." Caspian said. 

"So where are we sailing to?" Edmund asked. 

"Before I took back the throne from my uncle, he tried to kill my father's closest friends and most loyal supporters." Caspian said. He turned to a board that held sketches of men that looked on the older side. "The seven lords of Telmar. They fled to the Lone Islands. No one has heard from them since." 

"So you think something has happened to them?" Edmund asked.

"Well, if it has, it's my duty to find out," Caspian replied.

"Well, what's east of the Lone Islands?" Lucy asked.

"Uncharted waters," Drinian spoke. "Things you can barely imagine. Tales of sea serpents and worse."

"Sea serpents?" Edmund asked in a scoffing tone. 

"All right, Captain," Caspian said. "That's enough of your tall tales."

~~~

Gwen and Caspian and stayed in his quarters, talking since the others had left. 

"How has your life been in England?" Caspian asked, holding her hand in his own. She had her own placed on top of his. 

She sighed, retracting her hand. She tucked a piece of hair behind her ear. 

"It's been well enough. Nothing like the time we have here though," she said quietly. 

Caspian saw her nervous and downcast expression that she tried masking over. 

"Gwendolyn, you can talk to me," he said. 

She sighed, trying to collect herself. "My . . . aunt and uncle kicked me out of their house a few months ago on my birthday. It was actually when I got back from boarding school. I had just graduated." She took a steadying breath, unable to meet his eyes. "I . . . I didn't have anywhere to go. I rang the Pevensies up and they graciously took me in. 

"But then as a few things got complicated and Lucy and Edmund's parents had to leave, I got a job working as a nurse for the war. I live above the enlistment center with a few other girls." 

Then she lifted her head to meet Caspian's eyes. "So, my life hasn't been the greatest."

So she was a little over eighteen then. 

Caspian stood up, crossing to her and embracing her, which she gladly accepted. 

"I'm so sorry," he said. "None of that should have ever happened." 

"It's okay. All that matters is that I'm back. And I hope for longer this time." 

He pulled away, taking her hands in his. "I hope so too. Gwen, not one day went by where I didn't think of you. I turned at every girl I thought looked like you, hoping Aslan had brought you back. Now that he has, I want to make the most out of your time here."

"So do I."

She couldn't resist, she embraced him again, relishing the feeling of his arms around her. She felt so safe.

"I'm so glad I'm back . . . with you."

"As am I. As am I."