Chapter 22

When Gwen rose from resting her eyes the rest of the night, she noticed sunlight. Glorious sunlight. 

"Lu!" Gwen whispered. 

Lucy turned over, still awake. "Sunlight!" Lucy exclaimed. 

"I knew it," Gwen said. They just had to get through the storm. 

When everyone came back to the deck, they noticed land not too far out. 

"It's the island Drinian was speaking of." Gwen looked to Caspian. 

Drinian approached them both just then. "Well, I have to hand it to you, Miss Gwendolyn. You were right." 

Gwen smiled as he bowed and she curtsied back. 

"Orders, Your Majesty?" 

"We'll go ashore." 

Drinian nodded and left to carry out the orders as he shouted to the crew. 

Gwen and Caspian parted, knowing the drill. They came to the longboats and stepped in. It was going to be nice to be back on land. 

"I doubt the lords stopped here, my liege. There's no sign of anything living." Reepicheep yelled from the other boat.

"Right. Once we get ashore, take your men and search for food and water. The four of us will look for clues."

"Hang on, you mean the five of us," Eustace said. Everyone looked at him. "Come on, please don't send me back to the rat."

"I heard that," Reepicheep shouted. 

"Big ears," Eustace said. 

"I heard that too!" 

Everyone laughed at the small quarrel. 

The two boats came to land and the crew began to unload. 

"Alright, I, Gwen, Lucy, and Edmund are going exploring. We'll be back here by sundown." Caspian said. 

Caspian walked alongside Gwen as they trekked, and Lucy and Edmund walked behind. 

"Caspian, are you doing okay? I saw your expression last night. Your dream must have bothered you." 

He looked down, not wanting to burden her. 

"Caspian, you can talk to me. You listened to me, now I'm here to listen and support you." 

He looked at her innocent smile and gave in. She deserved to know. 

"I struggle with not having my father here to guide me. It's always in the back of my mind. My temptation and test. . . it's involving my father. I feel like my father wouldn't support and be proud of what I'm doing." 

Gwen took his hand. "Caspian, your father would be extremely proud of you. You're going to go down in Narnian history as the greatest king to ever rule." 

"Peter already has that title." He smiled. 

She rolled her eyes. "Okay, well, second greatest then if that makes you feel better. You're a wonderful man, Caspian. And a great king." 

"Thank you. It means a lot to hear those words from you." 

 "That's what I'm here for." 

A few moments later, Caspian hurried ahead, seeing a rope tied to a rock formation. "Look, we're not the first ones on this island," 

"The lords?" Edmund asked.

"Could be,"

A gaping hole in the rocks was wide enough for someone to climb down into it and Caspian threw a rock into the hole.