Chapter 45

Gwen found Lord Gaspar as she was on her way to finish some of her duties.

"My lord," she called. 

He stopped, sharing a smile and bowing. There was still an urgency behind his eyes. "My queen. How are you today?" 

"I'm well, thank you. I wanted to thank you for all you've done in helping my husband during these trying past two weeks. I truly appreciate it. It has helped so much." 

"Well, Your Majesty, it is the least I can do. King Caspian is a wonderful man, and I am honored to serve him. Speaking of His Majesty, I was just going to meet him. If you will pardon me--"

"Oh, of course, please,"

He bowed. "Thank you, my queen. Have a wonderful rest of your day."

"You as well,"

~~~

Caspian came busting through the chamber doors, his emotions running high. He knew it was coming at some point, but he didn't think it would have been so soon. He found his wife sitting in a chair, looking over a book.

She smiled as she saw Caspian but then her smile dropped as she saw his expression. "Caspian, what it is, love?"

His jaw clenched. "Archenland has declared war on us,"

Gwen gasped. "What? Why?"

"Alejandro's joined ranks with them. Do you remember on the Treader when I told you I was having to deal with them then?"

She nodded. 

"They were already opposed to some other things, so this has given them an excuse to finally rebel."

"Part of their opposition is because of me, isn't it?" Gwen asked, dread filling her tone.

Caspian looked away. "I'm sure it--"

"Caspian, look me in my eyes and tell me it isn't at least part of it."

Caspian sighed. "It is part of it. But they just want the throne. Gaspar broke the news to me. He said everything that has gone wrong lately, is because of them."

Gwen shook her head, sighing. "I had just spoken to him in the halls, and he told me he was just going to meet you. Another war. I . . ."

Caspian took her hands in his. "I have to go to the front,"

Gwen's eyes immediately watered. He saw her expression and pulled her to him, cradling her head against his chest. "Oh, my darling, please don't cry."

Tears leaked down her cheeks. "It's so dangerous,"

"So were the battles we've fought." He stroked her hair. "I don't want to leave you, but I have to go,"

Gwen nodded. "I know. It's your duty. I understand, but that doesn't mean that I want you to go."

Caspian lightly chuckled. "I know. But I'll be back here as soon as possible."

Gwen pulled away, wiping away the tears. "When will you be leaving?"

"Two days,"

She nodded but then fell back into him. "I love you,"

"I love you too. With all of my heart,"

He leaned down and kissed her. She responded, coming closer. His hand wound into her hair and his other rested on her back. Each second grew into passionate bliss that neither wanted to end.

Gwen pulled away, breathing heavily. "Hold me,"

His arms came around her. "I'm not going anywhere,"

Alejandro's threat invaded his mind. Anger boiled inside of him. If he tried to do anything to his girl, blood or not, Caspian would get rid of him with no second thought. He would do anything to protect her. 

~~~
"Is everything packed, Tamera?" Gwen whispered. 

"Yes, Your Majesty. You have everything you need," she whispered back. 

"Great, thank you. Please, you and Lydia stay safe." She embraced her friend. 

"We will, don't worry, my queen," 

Gwen pulled away. "Well, time to go break the news to Caspian. You can go now." 

Tamera bobbed her head and left the chambers. 

And right on time, the main doors to the chamber opened and Caspian walked in. 

"You called for me, darling?" 

She took a breath. She had no clue how he was going to react to what she was about to say. "Yes. I'm coming with you to the front."

He stared at her as he crossed to her. "Did you sleep well? Because you're talking nonsense. You're not coming with me."

"I am coming with you. I refuse to leave you,"

"It's far too dangerous, Gwendolyn,"

She took his arm. "Caspian, look at me,"

He turned to her.

"I will not leave your side. I am your wife. I am supposed to be with you and help you in your times of trouble and this is one of them. I'm coming with you and that is final."

"I can't put you in direct danger," 

"I've been in it before," 

"Yes, but that was different," 

"How was it different?" She threw her hands up. 

"You weren't my wife then! I'm not putting you directly into danger's path!" 

She groaned. "So, what, I'm to be left here alone? I'd be safer with you! Alejandro may gain enough courage or stupidity to come storm this castle! Then what will you do? Leave the front to come to get me?" 

He huffed. 

"See? I'd be better off with you. Where you go, I go." Her voice quivered. "Besides, I can help treat the wounded."

Caspian sighed, rubbing his forehead. "Fine. You can come. But you have to have all of your--"

"My things are fully packed; they have been since you left this morning. Tamera came to help me." 

He stared at her. "You were going to come whether I said so or not," 

"Absolutely," 

Caspian began to chuckle. "You really can be headstrong when you want to be," 

She smiled. "That I can be. I'm going to look through my things and make sure I have them all. When are we leaving out?"

"Early tomorrow morning,"