Chapter 12

"Gwendolyn? Are you alright?" 

Gwen snapped out of her daze, looking over at her uncle. She sighed. "I'm sorry, Uncle. My mind is just wandering." 

"What's troubling you?" he asked. 

"I...I have such a strong feeling that today is the day. The day that we're leaving. I don't want to leave. I have you now and C--I...I don't want to leave you behind."

Trumpkin took her hand. "Is there someone else you're going to miss? Why did you start saying a 'C'?"

Gwen looked down, blushing. "I...I--Uncle--"

He smiled. "You don't have to say anything. I can see it."

Gwen looked at him. "Is it that obvious?"

"As the sun in the sky. You fit well together." 

"If only..." Gwen gazed toward the castle. 

"Maybe you can speak with Aslan and he will allow you to stay."

Gwen sighed. "I thought about it, but I don't think he will allow it." 

Trumpkin sighed. "I don't either." 

Gwen took a breath. "Well, I know one thing. I'm so glad to have met you. I finally feel I have someone who...loves me and..." Gwen struggled to retain her composure. "I don't feel so alone anymore." 

Trumpkin sadly smiled. "I wish I could do more." 

"You've already done more than enough." 

A throat was cleared and Gwen turned to see Caspian. Her heart flipped again. 

"Everyone has assembled for the gathering. I was wondering if I could escort Gwen." He turned to Trumpkin. 

He held his hands out. "By all means, Your Majesty." 

Gwen withheld a grin as she took Caspian's arm and he led her to the square. They arrived and Gwen took a place beside Edmund. 

Peter leaned across. "Why were you with him?" 

Gwen rolled her eyes. "He offered to escort me." 

Peter sighed defeatedly. "You two look good together, I will admit it." 

Gwen smiled. "Thank you." 

A hush came over the crowd as Caspian began to speak. 

"Narnia belongs to the Narnians, just as it does to man," Caspian projected. "Any Telmarines who want to stay and live in peace are welcome to. But for any of you who wish, Aslan will return you to the home of our forefathers."

"It's been generations since we left Telmar," a Telmarine said from the crowd.

"We're not referring to Telmar," Aslan said. "Your ancestors were seafaring brigands. Pirates run aground on an island. There they found a cave, a rare chasm that brought them here from their world. The same world as our kings and queens. It is to that island I can return you. It is a good place for any who wish to make a new start."

No voice spoke to accept Aslan's offer. 

Then, a man stepped forward. 

"I will go," he said. "I will accept the offer."

"So will we." A woman stepped forward; Gwen recognized her as Caspian's aunt. His aunt held her child in her arms as she came forward, another man trailing behind her. 

"Because you have spoken first, your future in that world shall be good," Aslan said. Then, he breathed on them.  

Suddenly, the tree that stood behind Aslan began to unravel its twisted trunk and open into a doorway.