P R O L O G U E

1 week ago:

I went downstairs and saw the Jones sitting in the living room.

I went there and before I could say anything, Gerald said in the most bored and emotionless tone. "Congratulations. You, are getting married."

I blinked.

Upon seeing the most ridiculous and confused expression on my face Gerald turned to his wife and said, "Honey, please explain. I have no time for this bitch."

Stephanie took a deep breath and said, "Look Rozella we are aging up, you have nobody to support you when times will get hard. So, we have decided to marry you to a handsome and charming man."

I blinked again.

"No, I am not alone, I have my friends." they paused and looked at me confused.

"Friends? and who are these friends of yours?"

"Yeah, friends. You know books? They are my friends, I love reading bo-" as I completed they bursted out laughing "b-boooksss-haahah"

"What's so funny?"

They stopped and looked at me. "You're kidding....right?"

"No", I replied, and then what Stacy said brought tears to my eyes.

"Oh please, we know you are not smart enough to read books you're a nerd with those big ass glasses on your face. I mean you're not even a college pass"

I balled my fists as that was a touchy subject for me.

She looked at my hands and smirked.

"And what are those glasses? Like ewww grow up this is the 21st century nobody wears that anymore....no wonder you have no friends." she mumbled the last sentence.

I mean it's not like she's wrong. Whatever she said is right. No one likes me and honestly, I prefer it that way.

"Enough! you are getting married, his name is Kezr-" Whatever she said after I tuned out.

Kezr, that's a really hot name. But what if it is one of those catfishers who is a bald guy in his late 50s with a big belly and beard and is a pervert. I shuddered at that thought.

"But I don't want to marry somebody like that. Why are you guys giving me away?" I said on the verge of my tears.

Gerald interrupted obviously fed up with this useless conversation. "Yes you will, we are getting a lot of money from this. You will do as we say. It's a statement not a question. You're a pathetic use of oxygen in our house. Might as well make use of it."

I didn't care about his insults anymore as I had much bigger issues to deal with like how he said money.

Money? what money? oh please don't tell me they are selling me into human trafficking I have seen mafia books about it and it is no where nice.

"Money? What have I done so you guys can sell me off?" I said with tears welling up in my eyes. "I will not marry someone just like that"

"You're talking as if you have a choice, which you clearly don't."

"Yes. The faster you do this the faster we can get rid of you," Stacy said popping her gum and looking at her freshly manicured hands.

"b-but I- pleas-" I stuttered nervously.

"No buts or pleads. We have always done everything for you why cannot you return our favor. Are you that ungrateful?"

I shook my head, "No. But I want to marry someone out of love."

Stephanie's eyes threw bullets at me, "Love? You have a boyfriend or something?"

"No ma'am" boyfriend? PAH-LEASE! Never heard of one.

Nobody likes a chubby 5'4, 21-year-old girl with glasses making her look like a nerd.

"Yeah....thought so. It's not like anybody will like you. Now the only thing you need to know is the family is coming to see you on Tuesday."

What?! That's 2 days from now on. Not enough time to execute a plan!

With that, I came back to my room and plopped down on the bed thinking about my life choices.

Mama, papa. I miss you. Please make this turn out good for me.