29

'Baby, come here for a sec.' Emilio's voice echoes from the office, my feet following after the sound.

'What is it?' I lean forward against his desk, his head buried in the piles of work laid out in front of him.

'I'm gonna' be working late tonight. Don't wait up for me.' His eyes don't lift from the paper trail in front of him, not bothering to even give me a small glimpse or a warm smile.

'Oh... Okay.' I spin around in disappointment, heading back for the door.

But before my hand could meet the bar, I feel his arms wrapping around my torso, holding me tightly from behind.

'You didn't think I'd let you leave just like that, did you?' He teases, his head leaning down by my ear.

My heart instantly lights up in excitement, the disappointment fading as I turn back to face him.

My lips meet his, my fingers gently grazing the edge of his jaw as my opposite arm wraps around his neck, keeping him close.

'Don't you have work to do?' I push myself away, smirking in content as I watch his eyes plead for more.

I let out a little giggle before speaking. 'Go and finish. You have a busy night ahead.'

And with that, I turn around, walking out of the door as I let him continue with what he was doing only moments before.

I start to make my way up the flight of stairs and into the bedroom, laying myself down as my head comfortably hits the pillow. I shut my eyes for a few minutes, in need of a desperate sleep as I hear the front door open downstairs, the sound of Emilio leaving for the night.

His schedule seemed much more busier than I thought it would be ever since our move here. Of course, I couldn't complain. He had his business to manage and that couldn't be done by itself. But sometimes I couldn't help but wish he could just spend the most of his time at home... With me.

Outside of work, there wasn't much else for me. Although I still had my friends, it wasn't the same as physically being able to see them. It wasn't the same as having our long nights out and pointless conversations to pass time. And being the assistant of a boss who apparently likes to keep a whole floor to himself, no other co-workers around, doesn't exactly help.

It had only been a month or so since our move here. Perhaps it was just me having a difficult time adjusting. But I do still have hope for this place. After all, I was the one most excited for this move.

My eyes open once again, adjusting to the darkness of the room as I reach for my phone to check what time it was. I pat the space besides me, my hands landing on nothing but empty sheets.

It was four in the morning, how late was he planning to work...?

———

The next morning rolls by soon enough but with my alarm setting off minutes late, I was now rushing to work knowing full well I was about to get a earful for not being on time.

The elevator pings open just in time, rushing inside as my fingers repeatedly press against the button of the top floor hoping that it would speed up the process. I hold onto the files in hand, praying that he'd perhaps be in a good enough mood to let this pass. If there was one thing I knew about him, he loathed the idea of things not going his way which included me not being on time.

I burst through the doors of my office, taking a seat as I place the files down besides me. Not even a second had passed after my entrance until the phone besides me began to rang.

With my brain already predicting who was calling, I shut my eyes tight as I slowly lift the phone to my ear.

'Get in here now, Milan.' His voice demands, a calm tone which was yet mixed with rage.