40

'You asked for me?' I step into Zane's spacious office, closing the door behind me.

'Yeah, I did.' He confirms, stepping out of his seat as he walks towards me.

'What you did yesterday... Thank you.' He attempts to show some gratitude but his hard expression made it difficult to read.

'Oh, well, your welcome. I know it was important.' I smile, moving my hands behind my back.

'Well thanks to you, we just got our most promising deal for the business. I have a dinner with Emilio next week... Why don't you join us?' He suggests, his arms folding along his chest as he looks down to me.

I feel myself smile at the mentioning of Emilio's name, my face instantly lighting up with glee. 'Oh, sure. I'd like that.'

'Great. Then I'll see you there.'

———

It was the day of the dinner that Zane had invited me too. I was just getting ready to leave work for the day, packing up my things as I lock the office door behind me.

'Milan.' I hear a voice call out behind me as I twist my neck in their direction, finding Zane close behind.

'Oh. Did you need something else?' I ask, my hand falling from the handle of my door as I walk closer.

'No, it's not that. I just wanted to check if you needed a ride for tonight. I wouldn't mind picking you up.' He asks, referring to the plans we had made earlier on that week.

'Oh, thanks but it's fine. I have to do something before anyways.' I make up the first excuse that came to mind.

'Then I guess, I'll see you there?' He scratches the back of his head, a friendly smile playing on his lips.

'I'll see you there...' I scrunch my face slightly, sensing something off about the way Zane was acting but brushed it off, not wanting to think much of it.

I walk over to the elevator, leaving Zane standing in the corridor alone as I step in, heading straight for the parking lot.

My car being parked close by, I step inside, shutting the door behind me as I put the car into ignition.

I make the quick trip home, turning off the car a few minutes later after I'd reached my destination. I make my way to the front door, walking in as soon as the door had been unlocked.

'Emilio!' I yell into the hall upon entering, my voice slightly echoing back to me. But no response.

'Is he still not back yet?' I sigh as I spoke to myself in thought.

My feet haul up the steps, walking into the empty bedroom before getting out of my work clothes and into a robe. I take a seat as my vanity, pulling out the draws of makeup with a brush in hand. Applying what I thought was necessary, a few dabs of concealer, a touch of lipgloss and some mascara, I suddenly notice the doorknob twist open, revealing an hour late Emilio.

'Your late, Emilio.' I say with little interest, fed up with this pattern of his.

'I know, I had a few things to do-' He defends, adjusting his tie as he walks over to the closet.

'It's your business dinner. That literally counts as work.' I speak in disbelief, putting the tube of mascara to a side.

'You know what?' I step out of my seated position, walking in his direction with my hand in the air. 'I'm so tired of you never being on time. I get it, you have a business to run but is it every single day you have to come late. I barely even get to see you anymore!'

He combs the hair out of his face, turning to face me with a blank expression.

'Are you not gonna' say anything!?' I shriek, irritated by the fact that he had nothing to say.

'I told you, I had something to do at work.' He didn't seem as concerned with the matter as I was, his attention more focused on undoing his tie.

'Oh, I'm sorry. Is this too small of an issue for you? You don't have enough fucking time to talk to your own girlfriend now?' I look to him with narrow eyes and tight lips, every cell in my body burning with annoyance. '...Or did you find some other bitch to occupy your time with at work? Is that it?'

That seemed to spike his interest.

His eyes begin to narrow, his eyebrows furrowing as if he were shocked by my statement. 'What the fuck, Milan?'

My face becomes engulfed by the emotion I was feeling, doubt.

'I'm not talking to some other girl-' He tries to reassure.

'How would I know that?' Bluntness returns to my voice, the thought that he may be cheating coming into my mind... Just like it once did a few weeks ago.

'Are you serious? I came home late once!'

'Once!? Are you kidding?' I react to his comment immediately, almost laughing at the choice of his words.

'You know what I meant.' He looks off to the side of the room, avoiding eye contact completely. But I wasn't satisfied with any of his answers.

My hand latches onto his jaw, twisting his face to mine as his eyes looked to be unbothered. 'Promise me.' I demand.

'Promise what?' He asks as I feel his chest lift against my arm.

'Promise me you won't be late, Emilio.' I raise my brows with a serious look on my face.

'I promise.' He gives in to my demand, his hand gripping onto my wrist as he rips me away. 'Now fucking apologise.'

'For what?' I snicker, tilting my head a little.

'For assuming I'd touch anyone but you...' His eyes stay hard against me, travelling down my body and right back up. The hand that sat on my wrist slithers to my shoulder before making its way to the back of my head.

I stare into his eyes, his dark orbs staring right back at me as I predict his next move but I had absolutely no clue.

He jerks my head closer, his lips adjusting to the height of mine as he leans in. But before coming any nearer, his lips stop by my ear. 'Go get fucking dressed.'

——————————————

Thanks for reading! Hope you enjoyed this chapter and don't forget to vote and comment! Also follow my Instagram
(@ miraa.stories )