52

I hear the office door snap open from the next room, knowing instantly who it was. The phone call with Zane from the night before jogs back into mind as I let out a sigh.

But while lost in thought, my attention becomes drawn to my own office door opening, Zane welcoming himself in.

'You came in today.' He states whilst staring me down with expressionless eyes.

'Yep... I can see that.' I laugh before dragging my eyes back down to the screen in front of me, trying my best to avoid his tempting gaze.

'So what was the real reason you didn't come in yesterday?' He begins to approach my desk, each step of his feeding my anxiety.

'What do you mean...?'

'You know exactly what I mean.' He suddenly grips hold of the arm rest on either side of me, spinning me in his direction with his eyes directly looking into mine.

'I felt sick.' My eyes stroke up and down his face, examining every look he gave to see what he may be thinking but I had absolutely no clue.

'You don't look sick to me.' He observes me intently, his finger gently grazing against the skin on my cheek.

'Well I feel better now.' I whisper as I feel his warm breath fan against my face. The small distance between us was becoming almost unbearable, I wasn't sure whether to push him away or pull him closer.

Seconds fly by, the two of us only getting closer by the moment but neither of us made any sudden movements. The wait was sickening yet part of me wasn't sure about any of this. About Zane.

But with little thought, I lift my hand to meet the bottom of his arm, my thumb gently grazing his soft skin as I anticipate my next move. I wanted to know. How it would feel with Zane. As wrong as it felt, I wanted to know.

But before any move could be made, the deafeningly loud ring of the desk phone startles me back to my senses. My hand drops to my lap as he backs away. I waste no time to answer the ringing phone.

'Hi, I have a visitor for Mr Forbes.' A women speaks down the line.

'Who is it?' I question as I switch the call onto speaker.

'Danielle Price.'

I look up to Zane for an answer, his face instantly showing nothing but irritation. 'Tell her no.'

He leaves my office with no warning, his arms tucked into his pockets as he lets the door slam behind him.

'Um, Mr Forbes doesn't want any visitors right now.' I inform the women on the other line before hanging up. I'd be lying if I wasn't slightly curious as to why Zane didn't want to see her. But I guess it was none of my business.

I return back to the mounts of work I had left for today, hoping for no more distractions in order to get this all done on time. But not even a few minutes in, I notice a figure rushing by the office in a hurry, headed directly for Zane's office.

'Is that-' I think out loud as I come to the realisation that it was Danielle.

'It's none of my business...' I remind myself before facing back down to my screen but not a second of my thoughts were spent on the work I still had.

So I give into my starving curiosity, leaving my office cautiously as I slowly approach the door of Zane's office. And as I was about to twist the knob open, the sudden raise of voices stops me from doing anything further. Instead I just stood there and listened.

'Why, Zane? Why!?' I recognise Danielle's voice, clearly distressed.

'What do you want me to say, Danielle?' Zane responds, his voice much more calm than hers.