37

I was sat in my office, cautious of every move I made around the building. I knew that after how I practically blew up and walked out during my shift, Zane was going to be far from happy to see me.

It was only a matter of time before he would need me for something and when that happens, I won't be able to avoid his fury.

The phone besides me begins to ring, my body jolting from the unexpected noise. I make sure to look at who it was calling as I realise it was just another call from the desk below.

'Hey there, there's someone downstairs wanting to meet Mr Forbes. Is it alright if I send her up?' The lady on the other line questions, my body twitching as I knew exactly what this meant I would have to do.

'What's the name? I'll go check with him.' I speak in a low voice, the cheerful tone of mine vanishing instantly.

'Danielle Price.' I recognised the name, my eyes slightly widening as I also recall how my first encounter with her was.

I step up from my desk, gathering up all the courage I had within me as I headed for his office. It was no secret that my heart was pounding with nothing but fear... But right now, there wasn't much I could do to avoid the situation.

I knock at his door once, waiting for his permission to enter.

'Come in.'

I stepped foot into the office, memories flooding back of how only two days ago I was yelling at him.

'Danielle Price wants to see you.' I inform him, skipping past the greetings and small talk so I could just get out of there as fast as possible.

'Send her up.' He calmly states, the worry that was boiling in the pit of my stomach fading as I begin to shut the door.

'But Milan-' He calls out to me, his tone still surprisingly calm as I expected the worst to come. 'Meet me in my office after she's gone.'

And without turning back or confirming that I would be here, I shut the door, my heart racing once again. I groan, walking back to office knowing that I had to pass on the information to the receptionist that was still waiting.

'Let her up.' I speak into the phone before hanging up straight away. My head slams against the desk as my feet kick against the ground, only hoping that this 'Danielle Price' would occupy the rest of my working day with him.

———

An hour passes by of me sulking every few minutes as I pondered about what Zane wanted to say. Maybe Danielle's little visit will help lighten up his mood and just maybe, he'll feel a tad bit more forgiving and I'll get to keep my job.

I notice Danielle walking past my office in the opposite direction of Zane's office, knowing exactly what this meant for me. It was now my que to get in there, I couldn't risk pissing him off even more by wasting any time.

My feet drag towards his office, pushing the door open as I walk right in. My head hung low, expecting screams of rage coming towards me any moment now.

'I honestly thought you wouldn't come at all.' He starts, his steps inching closer.

I hesitantly look up to meet his eyes as I notice a smirk playing on his lips. 'Are you scared of me, Milan?'

'No! I just- ...didn't expect you to be so calm.' My voice fades into a mutter.

'You make it seem like I'm too harsh.' He chuckles, completely oblivious to how he came across to people.

'Because you are.' I bluntly comment, regretting my words immediately. 'I mean- You're okay, just a bit-'

'You don't have to lie to me. My ego isn't that weak.' He rolls his eyes walking back over to his desk, his back towards me. 'I just wanted to make sure you were okay.'

His words almost come out in the form of a whisper, only barely hearing what he had said.

'Oh... Thank you, I-I'm fine.' I smile, my heart slightly warming at his words.

He clears his throat, looking over his shoulder as he peers over to me. 'Okay- Good. That's all.'

I purse my lips, nodding as I step out of his office door. His words definitely take my by surprise... it was so unlike him. Maybe Danielle's visit worked after all.

I look down at my watch, realising my lunch break was only minutes away. I decide to take a trip to the kitchen to make myself a quick drink before going back to my office.

The kitchen seemed empty at first as usual, that was until I stepped in, realising there was someone already here. Not a lot of people came into the kitchen upstairs so this definitely spiked my interest seeing someone here for the first time that wasn't Zane.

'Hey.' I say with a smile on my face, glad that the office didn't seem as quiet as always. Their back was faced towards me, obscuring my view of them as I walk closer.

The person turns around, my body freezing as I realise it wasn't just another employee... It was the women who was sat with Zane moments before me.

'Milan, is it?' She struts in my direction, nothing but confidence in her steps.

'Yeah... Danielle Price, right?' I lift my brows as she gives me a nod.

'So... You're Zane's assistant.' She tilts her head enthusiastically, offering a smile.

'Yep, that's me.' I shrug, also returning her a similar smile.

'I'm sorry you had to walk in on that last time.' She starts with an apology, tightening her lips as she speaks.

'Oh, no. It's fine! It was just a little awkward at first.' I laugh, brushing off the situation.

'Yeah. I can imagine.' She lets out a breath of air in the form of a laugh, shaking her head.

'So do you usually make visits here often, I'm sort of new. I started around a month ago.' I clarify, not wanting to seem like a lousy employee.

'Zane and I go way back, so there are visits here and there.' She shrugs, giggling to herself. 'So what do you think of him so far?'

What did I think of him...? If you asked me a week ago, I'd say he was on the brink of insanity. But over the last few days, I had to admit that he was definitely warming up to me and as little as it was, it was still something which was a good sign.

'He's okay, not the best but not the worst either I guess.' I shake my shoulders, not entirely sure of the answer myself.

'Yeah... He can be a bit icy at first but he'll warm up to you eventually. That's Zane Forbes for you.' She assures, as I nod in her direction.

'How about I let you in on a secret?' She whispers, inching closer towards me. My eyes narrow as I wait for what she was about to reveal. 'From the way he was talking about you earlier, it seemed like he's already warmed up to you quite a bit...' She winks as her faces backs away.

'Really? What makes you think that?'

'Him actually remembering your name.' She chuckles once again. 'He barely even knew the name of his last assistant. Trust me, you should be proud.' She places her hand on my shoulder in congratulations.

'Aren't I lucky?' I sarcastically add. 'I get on his nerves a lot so it could just be that.'

'Hmm, it could be that too.' She shrugs as we both laugh in unison.

Her laugh fades into silence, her eyes lingering on my face for a few moments as she comes up with what to say next.

'You seem like a nice girl and I'm looking for someone to grab a drink with next week. What do you say?' She offers, clearly growing fond of me by the short conversation we just shared.

'Well, I'm also lacking a social life currently so why not?'

——————————————

Thanks for reading! Hope you enjoyed this chapter and don't forget to vote and comment! Also follow my Instagram
(@ miraa.stories )