58

My feet storm with determination towards the front door, confidence high within me. But once I was only inches away, it felt as if it had all evaporated within a second.

I've had my fair share of complicated relationships but one that still remains heavy on my mind was Danielle's. I couldn't live life as normal and I knew I couldn't keep up the act for much longer.

Which is why I was stood outside her door, hoping that the confidence would return soon before I knocked on it. But without a second to spare, the door snaps open, the creaking of the hinges taking me by surprise.

She looks at me with wide eyes, possibly startled by my presence as I was with hers. But the second my eyes meet hers, the fire lit within me again, all the feelings of betrayal rushing back.

'I need to talk to you.' The look on me face was enough to tell her something was off.

'About what?' She queries with uncertainty, but tries her best not to come off as suspicious.

'I think you know.' I push past her before slamming the door shut, Danielle also backing into the apartment as I do.

'I need to get somewhere-' She tries to stop me.

'That didn't stop you from checking up on me last time... Did it?' I refer back to our most recent encounter. Her eyes instantly shift into defence mode as she hears my words.

'Whatever this is, I don't have the time for it right now.' She tries to excuse herself once again, reaching for the handle before I quickly grab onto it myself.

'You can wait a few minutes.' I nod as she rolls her eyes, knowing she can't get away from this so easily.

'Mind explaining what happened at Zane's office?' I get straight to the point, not willing to beat around the bush for her.

'I fucking knew it...' She mumbles under her breath, almost inaudible but I still manage to catch onto it.

'You know what, Milan? I don't give a fuck about what you heard. I meant every word.' She cracks out of her shell of innocence.

'I haven't done a single thing to you!'

'You haven't?' She laughs with sarcasm as if I had just lied. 'Ever since you came along, everything's fallen to shit!'

Her tone raises with her words.

'I had Zane right in my arms... I was this close.' She shows me with her index finger and thumb. 'And then you came and fucked it all up.'

'What are you-'

'Zane fucking likes you, you idiot!' She yells into my face, something I was well aware of by now...

'That's not my fault, Danielle...' I try to explain but she was too emotional to hear.

'It is! All of it is your fault!' She huffs, the heel of her shoe hitting the floor with impact.

She takes a few steps closer, her slightly taller figure clouding over mine because of the heeled boat she had on. 'The only reason I even spoke to you to begin with was because of him... I could see it in his eyes from the day you walked into that office.'