48

'I don't know... A break-' I suggest, but he had no interest in letting me finish.

'No.' He stops me, his face turning deadly serious.

'What do you mean 'no'?'

'It means what it fucking sounds like.' He walks closer. 'I'm not losing you over something like that...'

'You're not losing me, Emilio...' I whisper, my tone dropping as I fall into his gaze.

'Then what is it? Because you just said we're breaking up.'

'No, I didn't.' I shake my head. 'I was trying to say that I think we should go on a break. Our priorities need to be set straight, there's no doubt in that'

'And... honestly, it doesn't even look like we trust each other nowadays. And maybe for the right reasons.' I look down, drowning in nothing but guilt.

He chooses to not speak at all as I patiently wait for him to say something. My heart was racing with anticipation as I watch his eyes slowly sadden but I knew that right now... We both needed this.

'That's what you want?' He finally talks.

'Yeah...' I respond, nervously waiting for what he had to say next.

'I have a business trip coming up... Take all the time you need.' He ends, walking out of the room without another word to say.

———

Sleep was by far the last thing on my mind through the night, never mind the awkward tension the house was filled with. The night went by as usual however we were both slept in separate rooms... Which I couldn't blame him for wanting to do. But the morning after was anything but comfortable.

The both of us shared an awkward encounter, one you would expect of strangers and weirdly enough... It almost felt as if we were. And in the moment the only thing I remember feeling was instant regret. I wanted to take my words back the second I saw him that morning, but I knew I had little choice to do so. I would look completely stupid after all... And maybe this could help the both of us. Whether we end up together or not.

But right now, I couldn't let myself become upset by a choice I made. At least not here.

'You're here.' Zane barges through the doors of my office, my first reaction being to flinch back into reality.

'Y-Yeah. Sorry, did you need me?' I straighten myself out as I step out of my seat.

'No. Just wanted to leave a few documents with you that I need for tomorrow.' He says as he hands me a packed file.

'Yeah... I'll have that ready for you.' I sigh as I relax back into my seat and slide closer towards my desk, ready to get to work.

'Oh and-' He quickly stops himself before leaving. 'What was it you wanted to tell me yesterday?'

Thoughts come rushing into mind, how less than twenty-four hours ago I was ready to tell him about my relationship with Emilio and now that relationship was on a thin line.

'It's nothing. To be honest, I forgot.' I force out a small laugh from whatever energy I had.

'If you say so.' He shrugs, ready to walk out of the door until he stops himself once again. 'Are you okay...?' He mutters in concern as my lift my eyes back up.

'I'm fine.' I confirm, returning my attention back down to my desk.

'You don't seem fine.' He pushes further, feeling the stern gaze he had fixed on me. 'If you don't feel good, you can lea-'

'Will you just drop it, Zane!? It's nothing you can help with so just leave me alone.' I snap, not wanting to dwell on the situation any further, especially not with someone who had no clue what was going through my mind.

Surprisingly enough, he fell silent, but not in a way that made me feel any more comforted by it. His presence was still felt in the room, only making it harder for me to ignore who was stood by the doorway.

I eventually give up, darting my eyes up to him with a harsh glare glistening in my eyes. 'What?'

'Nothing.' He rolls his shoulders with a lift of a brow.

'You're just lucky I can't fire you.' He admits, his eyes shifting between both of mine as both of our gazes unwillingly lock. I begin to wonder what he meant by that but I had no clue.

The shift of his lips catches my attention as I watch them form into a smirk. And without a second to waste, he lets the door slam behind him as he walks back to the office down the corridor.

———

That night I made my way back home, slower than usual just to prolong the journey. The thought of seeing Emilio made me strangely anxious, considering he was the one person who I felt entirely comfortable around. But despite my effort to arrive home as late as possible, I notice the drive way of our house approaching. I pull in with hesitance, only hoping that Emilio wouldn't be home so early since his schedule was so unpredictable nowadays.

I step out of the car, locking the door behind me as I approach our front door instead. The door opens wide as I take a step inside, the house seeming to be pin-drop silent.

I take a quick look around, confirming Emilio wasn't home as I exhale with relief before slipping out of my heels. But as I approach the bottom of the staircase, I spot the bag of luggage kept to the side, almost hidden from sight. My brows furrow in confusion... Why did he have bags packed?

The sound of a key rattling inside the lock catches my attention as I instinctively turn to face it. And of course, it was none other than Emilio walking through the door stood only metres away from where I happened to be.

'What's this?' I point towards the bags, frustration in my voice.

'My bags.' He shrugs, paying little mind to the tone of my voice.

'And why are they packed?' I protest, folding my arms along my chest firmly.

'Weren't you the one that wanted to go on a break?'

'Ok- But-' I try to explain myself before he interrupts.

'I told you. I'm leaving for a business trip. I'm leaving tomorrow morning.' He confesses as memories of him informing me the night before come flooding into mind. I had to admit that the timing happened to be perfect but part of me didn't want him to leave... It made this all feel way too real.

'So soon? You only mentioned it yesterday...' I question, my tone falling in response to the news.

'I'll see you tomorrow.' He dismisses my question.

'Goodnight...' He whisper under his breath, thinking I wouldn't catch onto his words.

——————————————

Thanks for reading! Hope you enjoyed this chapter and don't forget to vote and comment! Also follow my Instagram
(@ miraa.stories )