Pride Chapter 1: Into the fire

Spoilers for Re:Zero Pride if story.

Natsuki Subaru was trying to stay focused on the new task he found himself, worried that he would deal with people he never made amends to in the loops he failed badly but first he was dealing with the headache he was having.

Leaving the odd place he was in, it left his mind slightly disoriented yet he managed to find a way to get himself back on his feet. He hit his face with both his hands a few times, preparing himself for the worst to come. As his mind was ready, he all of a sudden started to get flashes of memories that are not his own.

("I'm...going to save you...")

("I mean I've done some trial and error on this one... but it's not going to work like with Tom, Dick, and Larry.")

("It's been the longest three days of my life. Though from your perspective we didn't know each other very long at all...")

("Throw him into a weaker part of the fire. We'll watch him burn.")

Subaru fell to the ground with tears in his eyes, having seen such darkness yet he doesn't understand what this all means.

'What...the fuck did I just saw? What was all of that about?!'

Subaru was not only disoriented once again but filled with regret and hatred. The flashes of memories he got were one of a madman, making him believe that the memories he is looking through is the person with Return By Death, considering that he witnessed a few of the gruesome deaths this person had dealt with.

'Whoever this person is...they are a horrible person...worse than a Sin Archbishop...'

Now realizing that he has to deal with a new and deadly opponent that can use Return by Death, he will need to be smart here. If this person dies, he along with the person would rewind back to a checkpoint, meaning that his opponent will know that he will be coming yet he also has the advantage.

'Compared to the others in my world, I won't be at a disadvantage since I can change my strategy...oh great, now I'm basically Roswaal here since he was also facing me, a Return by Death user. Whatever, as long as I'm not paired with him, I'll be fine.'

As Subaru was able to get his mind back in order, he got up and looked around to see that he was in the slums, reminding him of his first day in Lugnica. This caused him to smile since he recalls the first Emilia he met and the exact moment he truly fell in love with her.

As he had flashes of this fond memory, the incident with Elsa Grainhart started to appear. This caused him to hit his head, wishing that he didn't recall his first two original deaths to the sadistic woman. Subaru walked around a bit before he turned towards two glowing lights approaching him.

"What in the world is that?"

As Subaru asked the question, the two lights brightened up to reveal two familiar people. One was wearing long black pants and a torn up loincloth that is heliotrope-purple on the outside and red-violet on the inside and a short black vest with red-violet accents. The other one was wearing the iconic knight attire of Lugnica, being the Royal guard coat and long white pants. The only thing that separates this person from the other knights was his purple hair.

"Julius. Garfiel."

"Oi Cap'n, what's goin' on? Why am I here? Where's Otto?"

"I could ask the same thing, what are we doing here? We were supposed to be in the Pleiades Watchtower."

"Yes, I know Julius but it seems the gods of this universe...or some prick wanting to be god but this person had sent us to fix something in this world."