Aganau Chapter 2: Broken People

"You two are honestly something else, I suppose. But first, who exactly are you and why do you look like him but back when I unfortunately met you twenty years ago?"

Subaru took a moment to think on this question, knowing that this isn't just Beatrice's question but also his counterpart's question regarding him.

"I mean...it's a bit complicated."

"A bit? You are talking about having a young version of me, that being you, co-existing with me twenty years into the future. That's a little more than complicated." The older Subaru added, finding this all too complicated.

"You might find it too complicated because you are a simpleton, in fact. For Betty, she can figure anything out, I suppose."

"Okay then, try to explain this." The older Subaru said with an annoyed tone of voice, annoyed at how the loli spirit was being a bit smug despite still having a blank facial expression.

"The only explanation Beako can conclude is that this one is a clone, a fake, in fact."

"Hold it, I'm not a fake

"Hold it, I'm not a fake." Subaru protested.

"Well then, that brings us back to how you are even here? There can't be two of us by some coincidence."

"Well, I am Natsuki Subaru but from a parallel timeline."

"Parallel timeline?" Beatrice questioned.

"Wait Wait Wait Wait. That's actually a thing?" The Older Subaru said, surprised that something like this could exist.

"Yup. Fourth world."

"Fourth? The hell, why are you even...no, wait, that makes a lot of sense."

"Explain!" Beatrice said as she was getting frustrated that she was suddenly left out of the conversation. Both Subarus looked at each other for a moment before the older version nodded. He turned towards Beatrice to explain,

"Think of it this way, there are worlds that share the same exact people, same exact places, almost the same exact history but with a few differences."

"Differences? Like?" Beatrice questioned which the older Subaru was curious to know what was the main difference with his counterpart and his.

Before Subaru could even answer the question, the loli spirit sensed something odd about the young Subaru she hadn't sensed before. She approached the boy in haste before tapping her hand towards his chest.

"Wait Beako, what are—?"

"Quiet."

"..."

The older Subaru and Subaru just watched as Beatrice used her powers to look at the young boy's gate, having sensed something within it. After a few seconds, she was able to detect the contract the young Natsuki Subaru had.