Greed Chapter 15: Have faith

Both Beatrices looked at each other, each having questions about the other.

The Beatrice from this world had for a moment forgotten her despair as she was more focused on why she was seeing another her.

'Have I truly lost my mind, I suppose?'

She hadn't left this room since arriving the the new mansion, not wanting to interact with anybody, especially him.

Seeing a version of herself that looks quite lively seems more punishing than helpful.

'What happened to...well, me, I suppose?'

The Beatrice from another world understood now why she's the best one suited to deal with her counterpart.

With just one look, she can see that this world's Beatrice was more than miserable, she had nothing to live for.

"What happened?"

"What are you?"

The two asked each other these questions simultaneously, making it aware for the other what their counterpart wants from them.

"My question first, who are you, in fact? Mother would never make two of us."

"Indeed. Mother would've told us at the very least if that were the case. I'm Beatrice from an alternative world."

"An alternative world?" Beatrice from this world questioned, finding this a bit interesting but still skeptical. "That can't be right, what kind of magic could make such a thing possible?"

"I'm...uncertain on that as well, in fact. We weren't brought here by our own merit, in fact."

"We?" Beatrice from this world question, having taken note of that one detail. "What do you mean by 'we', in fact?"

As she asked this, the atmosphere tense as she prepared to attack.

Beatrice could sense this, prompting her to respond calmly with:

"Betty's stubborn contractor."

"Betty's...contractor?" Beatrice's mind went blank when hearing this, almost as if she felt her mind shattered when those words were said. "Th-That can't be...No, you aren't real!"

The Beatrice of this world couldn't help but disbelieve this since it would imply that she failed her mother all the while a different Beatrice succeeded to find a worthy contractor.

Tears ran down her eyes as she began to breathe heavily.

"No...No! Nobody was worthy of mother's library!"

"That's not it—" Before the Beatrice from another world could explain to her counterpart, she began to create purple projectiles to surround her.

"You have to be lying, in fact! I refuse to believe that!"

"It's the truth!" Beatrice shouted, "I wouldn't lie about something like that!"

"I won't believe you! I—I can't!"

Without a second thought, she started attacking her counterpart, viewing her as a cruel punishment from either Mother or from that person.

Beatrice knew that something like this would happen considering how she felt the despair when mentioning that she had a contract with someone.

She had quickly created a portal to teleport herself out of harm's way and into a different area of the room, out of sight.

Once succeeding in this, she remained hidden for a bit as her counterpart looked around for her.