Aganau Chapter 4: The hard path

It had been a few days of traveling by this point, with Subaru from another world noting to himself that this was the longest he had been in an alternative world since this mad quest started.

He looked up at the night sky as he thought on the previous worlds he had been in for a moment, thinking back on the things he had done right and the things he had done wrong on each world, hoping that he would do better for whatever remaining worlds he has to go in and fix along with the one he's currently in.

He turned towards his counterpart to see him all on his own, talking to himself from his perspective.

'I wonder what he's talking about with himself...'

"He's sick." Felix said suddenly which caught Subaru off guard, not having noticed him being to his right side. Felix continued, "Just having someone to talk to, even if it's just in nyor head. Subaru-kyun is being...no, even I cannot truly diagnose that..."

"..." Subaru stayed silent, seeing that Felix felt more alone after having truly learned about Crusch while also learning something about his counterpart.

'So, you are speaking to Rem...I feel your pain, older me...'

For someone outside himself, it would look like a sad man who can't let go of someone that's long gone or someone that's crazy but to him, it is someone who is in pain.

He looked down for a second thinking back on the nights he would talk to his sleeping Rem from his world after the events of the Sanctuary.

He remembers the nights he would tell her how his day was, the things he had done with either Emilia, Beatrice, Garfiel, Otto, Petra, etc.

Seeing that his older self was talking with an illusion of Rem created by his mind made him see a different side of his older self. He turned towards Felix to ask him:

"How are you holding up at least?"

"...Okay. Still mad at him." Felix says this as his eyes give a sharp look at the older Subaru.

"That's to be expected. It's me after all. Anything I say or do is bound to stick around in a person's head for a few days." Subaru sighed after saying this, having a feeling that things will get better between this version of Felix and his older self...eventually...hopefully, that was a better word for it.

"I'm surprised that Subaru-kyun isn't defending himself, er, the other you I mean."

"I mean I get his point of view since...well he's me but it also doesn't mean I side with every choice he has ever made. Different choices, different points of view because of those choices. Not to mention he's got a lot of years over me, so I can't judge on things that I don't truly know have happened or how they happened."

"I see..."

"..."

"..."

The two were silent for a bit, Subaru uncertain on what he can ask this version of Felix while Felix was hesitant to know more about Crusch or even his counterpart from another world.

After a minute or so of silence, Felix motivated himself to ask the question he had been pondering since learning more about the young Natsuki Subaru:

"Is...is the other Felix happy?"

"Happy? What do you mean?" Subaru questioned as he wanted clarification on what the cat boy was asking.

"The person that I have forgotten...is your Felix happy with her?"

'Ah, I see what you are asking now.' Subaru stood still for a moment as he thought this, knowing that he needs to be very cautious with his answer. This can greatly affect Felix of this world.