Greed Chapter 2: Not correct.

Natsuki Subaru had stepped outside of the Mansion, his mind running over all of the loops he had restarted on this day, remembering every single thing that had happened.

All of the small mistakes that had led to his death or all of the things he needed to know in order for the day to go perfect.

This sudden change is so unnatural and out of nowhere that it makes him think, what exactly is the cause of this new change of events.

'Could it be the Witch cult? Perhaps something had changed that required Roswaal to let me know that something's wrong. No, he wouldn't be that generous. So what the hell is this change?' He paused his thoughts as he turned his attention to his true partner in crime. 'Echidna, any thoughts?'

"From your memories, there's nothing that should've indicated a threat was on its way. The only possible explanation is that the witch cult has done something to hide themselves until now."

'Maybe...but why now? Why on this loop?'

"Isn't that what makes this investigation fascinating."

Echidna had been losing interest for a while, having had her fun with the idea of having multiple possibilities allowed to her, all to achieve Natsuki Subaru's "perfect" loop.

This new threat that seems to be out of nowhere has ignited the greedy side of her that desires knowledge.

Subaru is aware Echidna's interest in this mystery, prompting him to ask:

'Did you have something to do with this?'

"That's very hurtful to assume that, Natsuki Subaru." She speaks in a hurt-like tone, to which Subaru knows damn well she's just teasing him. Echidna would eventually notice this which prompted her to say, "You really are too serious. No, I had nothing to do with this."

'...okay.'

As Subaru confirms this for himself and can tell she's telling the truth, he notices Garfiel suddenly jump high up from the forest as if he was getting away from something.

'What is he...?'

"Subaru-sama."

"Hm?" Subaru's train of thoughts were suddenly halted by a voice of a trusted maid. He turned to see the pink haired oni maid. "Ram."

"Have you gone to see Roswaal-sama?"

"Yes, we talked already."

"Good. It wouldn't be good to keep him waiting."

"Yes, I know." Subaru said, knowing that Ram is being nice as per Roswaal's request after the events of the Sanctuary...but he can also sense the hatred she has for him.

"If you don't mind me asking, is there a reason why you are out here?"

"...I'm investigating something." Subaru spoke with a slight hesitation, which was something the maid took note of.

"And what might that be, Subaru-sama?"

"..." Subaru remained silent but he did manage to turn the subject with, "...do you know why Garfiel went into the forest?"

"Because Reinhard was asked by Roswaal-sama to go and fetch you, which left Garfiel on his own. He probably wanted to be on his own in the forest, the only reminder of his home."

"Makes sense...so why is he running away?"

"??"

Ram turned towards the direction Subaru was looking to see Garfiel running out of the forest.