Greed Chapter 4: Wits

("I will pledge my life to Emilia-sama. I won't fail.")

("I know you won't, Reinhard. I know you won't.")

Subaru was at a pause when he heard these two sentences were brought up into his mind as these memories were oddly set in the Watergate city of Pristella.

'Why was...?'

"If you come quietly, there won't be a need for anybody to get hurt." Reinhard said as he slowly approached Subaru. Beatrice was the first to get in front of Subaru as she prepared for a fight along with Otto and Emilia.

Beatrice was overwhelmed by the Sword Saint's presence but she was still ready to protect her contractor.

Emilia and Otto were indeed happy to see a friendly face...but the way he was acting made them very cautious as well as not wanting anything bad happen to their Natsuki Subaru.

He shook his head to get his mind back into focus on the problem at hand, Reinhard van Astrea.

'What the hell do I do now? We can't fight against Reinhard himself!'

Subaru knew that a fight would not only be extremely pointless but also result in all of their deaths.

Especially with the way Reinhard looks, broken. As he began to think on how he could try to convince Reinhard to stay out of this, Emilia asked in a kind manner:

"Why are you?"

"I'm only here for Natsuki Subaru. I don't wish to harm any of you."

"And what if I don't want to go with you?"

"..."

Reinhard was silent as he was given a task by Subaru to bring this Natsuki Subaru and just him alone.

("Bring him alone. By force if you have to.")

This prompted him to pull out a sword as he wanted to make it clear that he will fight them if they don't comply peacefully.

"N-Natsuki-san, what do we do?" Otto whispered to Subaru, wondering what his friend could have planned for this. Subaru was silent for a few seconds as he needed some time to think about the situation he was in.

'The other me must be desperate if he went on ahead to send Rein here to get me.'

He looked at Reinhard for a moment before looking at Beatrice and Emilia, both doing their best to be protective over him.

This made him think of the situation once again, knowing that any kind of attack would instantly fail.

This made him think back on the previous loop.

Thinking of the previous loop prompted him to turn towards his best friend to tell him:

"Follow the path, I'll keep them distracted."

"But Natsuki-san—"

"Trust me on this, Otto."

The merchant was hesitant by what his friend was planning since he had a feeling it would be something reckless...but considering the opponent they are going to deal with...

"Okay, Rein." Subaru said, out of options at this moment. "I'll go quietly with you...on one condition."

"And what might that be?" Reinhard asked as he lowered his guard. Subaru let go of Beatrice's hand as he approached the Sword Saint.

"Subaru, wait—"

"Leave them be."

"I...wasn't planning on harming anyone."