Aganau Chapter 3: Familiar ties

Subaru and Beatrice walked around the capital of Lugnica, both of them amazed for different reasons.

Beatrice had been amazed for this being the first city she had seen since the start of her contract at the Roswaal Mansion; While Subaru was amazed at how not much had changed in over twenty years. He was curious on how at the very least the other candidates were doing though.

He knows that both Emilia and Crusch are out of the competition for...reasons. Which after taking that into account left Felt, Priscilla, and Anastasia as the remaining candidates.

'But if it has been twenty years, shouldn't the royal selection be done by this point?'

With this question in mind, the first place he wanted to check was Reinhard's, since the knight would know the answer to that question in a heartbeat.

("Rein hasn't been the same for years like everyone else so you might want to be careful.")

Subaru thought back on the words Felix had told him before leaving the hospital, a bit concerned that his friend hadn't been in a good state of mind since his argument with this world's Natsuki Subaru.

'I wonder what happened to you, Reinhard?'

As he was mulling over his situation with his thoughts, Subaru along with Beatrice were walking all around the capital, with Subaru taking this opportunity to see what happened in this world twenty years after Petelguese had attacked the mansion.

The few things he learned from just listening to people talk was that the royal selection had not concluded in the slightest. If anything, from what he had been hearing, it got worse.

Priscilla and her camp had gone missing here and there to attend to issues back in her home country, but they were still involved with the royal selection out of Priscilla's sheer stubbornness, in refusing to give up until the absolute end.

Anastasia had abandoned the royal selection completely after several years had passed, no doubt considering it now a loss to her profits over a substantial gain.

From what he last heard, she was currently handling a problem in Kararagi involving a white haired woman, lots of wind being thrown about and entire towns being destroyed.

'That sounds like Zarestia. I should've asked more about what made her join my Slothful self, since she seemed outright pleasant, so long as alcohol was not involved.'

With that in mind, he has noted that Felt is the only one that appears more than the other two but not by much.

Apparently right after the White Whale had come by, Reinhard had gone out and slain a giant monster threatening the city.

It had gained Felt a lot of popularity for a few years before the goodwill of that act stalled out and left them at square one again.

'This is bad. If something had happened to Felt, that would very much effect Reinhard's state of mind.'

As he continued to listen to the gossip of the common people that they passed along the way, he had also noted how Beatrice was acting throughout the one hour of information gathering. Having spent time with his world's Beatrice, he knows exactly how she feels.

Those observations allowed him to see the Beatrice of this world was hiding how excited she was walking around the city.

Considering that the little spirit had been locked up in the forbidden library for more time than his Beatrice, he knows that the great spirit needs outings like this.

"So, how are you enjoying the city?"

"..."

"Come on, I know you are enjoying yourself. It has been centuries since you've been outside that crappy old library."