Greed Chapter 12: Compromise

Prior to Garfiel and Ram being sent out, Natsuki Subaru followed events similar to the previous loop.

Having both Reinhard and Petra walk with him towards Roswaal's office to speak with him.

During this walk, Echidna was curious on something:

"What's the strategy now? Will you play events the same or will you decide to do something different?"

'...' He had no response to this.

For starters, playing everything the same would just be equivalent to showing your opponent your winning strategy and giving them a chance to counter.

'Doing the exact same thing as before is just asking to lose.'

"Of course. Then what exactly are you going to do then?"

Echidna asked, her curiosity peaking.

Natsuki Subaru took a moment to think, trying to see what the right answer to this question would be since it would be something that he would be asking himself.

After thinking on it for a moment, he responded to the Witch of Greed with:

'I will do what needs to be done, for everyone's sake.'

Once said this to her, he entered onto the Margrave's office on his own to once again hear the same words as before:

"Well, it's gooooood to see you, Subaru-kuuuun."

"You summoned me?"

"Yeees. It seems that something is brewiiiiiing. Are you aware of what's aboooout to take place?"

"..."

Subaru remained silent since this would be pointless to respond.

He gives Roswaal a look, indicating to the Margrave that he indeed knows what's going to happen next.

Roswaal closed his eyes while saying:

"Buuuuut of course. You've already haaaaad this conversion before."

"Yes, one too many times now."

Roswaal was intrigued by this comment, wondering what exactly had happened prior to this world.

He leaned towards his partner in crime's direction while questioning him:

"What aaaaare we dealing with? Whaaaaat's the reason for repeating events?"

"...let's say we got someone who can follow me when I get a do over."

Although being vague about Return by Death to avoid the punishment, it was enough words for the margrave to understand the situation.

"I see. Quiiiite the troublesome foe you've found yourself."

"..." Subaru didn't like this comment at all since it was true, his counterpart was quite the annoyance to deal with.

"And whooooo is this troublesome foe?"

"A counterpart of mine."

"Counterpart?" Roswaal was curious about what exactly his partner meant by that.

"Just someone who shares my looks."

"An imposter, perhaps?"

"Not quite." Natsuki Subaru said before proceeding to explain the important details of the opponent they are facing, "He is a different version of me, a literal counterpart of myself."

Roswaal was curious about this now.

Another Natsuki Subaru, such a thing should be impossible, granted when it comes to his partner in crime nothing is impossible.