02. sweet shops and stables

☆

"I'M TELLING YOU, HE TREATS ME LIKE I'M SIX!" Clara complained, tugging her tattered cap down over her ears. It was a bright morning in Small Heath, and the rays of sun broke through the thick smog as she walked alongside Will. "He's being more overbearing than Aunt Pol — and that's saying something!"

"I mean, at least you know he cares." Will shrugged.

"Ugh," She snickered, punching his arm as he kicked at the stones beneath them. "Stop getting all sentimental."

"Yeah, yeah...OH, down here!" Will grabbed the girl's shoulders, directing her down another side street. "Paul told me about this new shop and I think we should put your 'Shelby powers' to use."

"Ah, so you're using me now, ey?"

"Of course, why do you think I still stick around?"

"Hmph..."

The two came to a halt outside of a brightly coloured shop, its exterior gleaming compared to the dust and dirt lingering over the rest of the shops on the lane. Its vibrant colours were an unusual sight to see amongst the grey and the brown. Will stepped forward and pushed the door open, revealing rows upon rows of various jars containing succulent looking sweets. The whole shop seemed to be a child's Havana. Clara closed the door behind her as she watched Will's eyes lit up with glee. A girl from behind the counter looked up from whatever book she was reading as the two scoured their surroundings in awe.

"What can I get for you?" She asked, her small voice echoing around the shop as Will walked forward, leaving Clara lingering by the door.

"We'll take these and these," Will stated, grabbing a few handfuls of sweets before shoving them into a paper bag. He turned back to face Clara, before waving to the blonde girl behind the counter. "You want anything?" Clara shook her head, earning a shrug from the boy. "Right well, that's it then, thanks."

"Wait!" The blonde girl cried out, abruptly standing to her feet. "You can't just take them! You've gotta pay."

Will scrunched his nose up as he pointed to Clara, "Do you know who she is? Who her family are?" He questioned, earning a low, exasperated groan from the girl at the door.

"No..." the blonde girl let her confusion show through her words before she raised her head high. "No, and I don't care. You've to pay for those sweets."

"Oh, you don't want to—"

"Will." Clara interrupted, raising a brow at the worked up boy. Once he'd quietened, she curiously looked towards the other girl. "What's your name?"

"I don't have to tell you."

"Fair enough, I can tell you mine?"

"That would be nice, yes, I'd like to know who to report was stealing."