24. nobody but you.

☆

IT SEEMED THAT CLARA WAS IN A state of unknown emotion. She couldn't decipher what she felt. Maybe it was tiredness, or guilt, or sadness or anger. The only thing she was sure about was that the feeling was definitely not elation. Her hands were clasped in front of her, her body sprawled in a seat as Tommy took a seat opposite her. She did not care for what he was going to say. He lifted his glass, taking a sip of his drink whilst the one he had poured for her went untouched. Clara merely glared at him, refusing to speak first. Her jaw was clenched tightly, her knuckles growing white in colour as she squeezed her hands tightly.

"So, I got a call this morning," Tommy sighed, taking a drag from his cigarette. "From your headmaster." Clara was silent. She didn't respond, her mind wracking through all of the things that could've been blamed on her. "Imagine my surprise when he told me you were a good student who worked hard but hadn't attended any classes in two weeks..."

She remained silent.

"But I told him you had been leaving the house every day for school, so he had to have it wrong," Tommy spoke, his eyes glancing at hers for any sign or tell. "So, why don't you start explaining yourself?" Upon hearing nothing in return, he raised a brow. "Not going to say anything, eh?

"Well, what do you want me to say?" Clara asked gruffly, her tongue pressing against the inside of her cheek.

Tommy gritted his teeth, "I want you to explain why you haven't been going to school." He stated, leaning back in his chair, a dangerous glint in his eyes. Clara didn't say a thing, her eyes on her hands rather than her brother. "Ey?" The girl shrugged in her seat, her eyes still furiously avoiding his. "Clara, I don't have the time for this. You either answer or I send you back to number six and you stay there for a month. Now, which will it be?"

"I didn't want to go," she finally muttered.

"You didn't want to go?" Tommy repeated almost in disbelief while his jaw clenched.

"Yeah," Clara nodded, her lips furling with a confident nod. "I didn't want to go."

It was now her brother's time to be silent as his eyes scanned her unapologetic face. His frustration growing.

"—and why not?" He gritted.

Clara did not answer, her head lulled to the side in disinterest, looking at the photos on the desk ahead of her. Tommy's eyes were on her as she sniffed.

"Well, are you going to answ-"

"Y'know I lost my best friend because of you," she suddenly interrupted, unprompted as she avoided his question. Her eyes moved to his.

"Will's still alive." Tommy huffed, obviously not in the mood to be dealing with his 'troublesome', little sister.

"Yeah, he is," Clara spitefully scoffed, "— but, you can still lose someone even if they're alive...you should know that, Thomas." She had been thinking of Grace, and it seemed that he had clocked that after a few seconds as his expression changed.