13. with every shadow comes a light

☆

CLOUDS BLANKETED THE SKY, HIDING THE MOON AND ITS GLORY behind them. Clara sat up in bed, her eyes scanning the pages of 'Great Expectations'. It was a boring night. The house was empty leaving her with zero entertainment apart from the book she held. Her family had finally decided to leave her alone for the night. Finn had seemingly disappeared off somewhere– most likely Isaiah's, leaving six Watery Lane all to her lonesome. The girl liked having nobody fawn over her but the quiet house reminded her all too well of the night the guns were found. Every so often, her eyes would dart towards the window in fear she'd spot the police once again.

Clara had wrapped herself up in the thickest blanket she'd owned, leaning into its comfort, trying to smooth her nervous mind. The streetlights shone through the recently unbolted window. It hadn't taken Tommy long to remove the nails holding it shut, allowing for the window to open and close like normal. Her hands flicked through the end pages of Great Expectations, her eyes scanning the words without reading them.

There was a creak.

It was only a creak, but Clara straightened at the noise.

Then there came a faint tapping coming from the window.

She was going insane.

She locked her hands around her hair, bunching her hair up as she did so. "C'mon Clara, it's just the wind...just the wind." She whispered repeatedly.

The tapping came once more and Clara squeezed her eyes together before forcing herself to pry them open. The tapping was persistent, too heavy to be rain, but too light to be rocks being thrown. The girl finally moved her head to look out the window, jumping back in fright as a pale face peered through the glass.

She carefully swung her legs over the side of the bed, treading towards the window. Her shaky fingers unlatched it, pulling the window open as a body threw itself into her room.

"Took you long enough," Will grumbled, straightening his jacket as he steadied himself inside.

"What the hell are you doing here?!" Clara hissed, before shutting the window and latching it shut.

"I've come to break you out!" He declared, raising his arms dramatically.

"I can't leave!"

"You're no fun, what happened to the Clara who used to sneak out and have fun?"

Although she knew his words were teasing, the girl gulped, her eyes drifting to the floor. Clara sighed, her chest slowly deflating as the boy spoke. She was silent, her teeth sinking into her lip.

"C'mon, come out and let's go dancing down by Digbeth," Will pleaded, "They have the live band out and drinks galore, c'mon, you know it sounds fun."