28. a thing with feathers

☆

CLARA DIDN'T EVEN RECALL FALLING ASLEEP. She could feel someone lightly shaking her shoulder, their voice cutting through the sleepy daze that fogged her mind. The girl half-heartedly hit the hand on her shoulders away as the man's words grew clearer and louder. She groaned loudly in frustration, shoving her face into the cushions.

"Shush," the girl mumbled, turning over further into the seat, her mind pleasing for the person to piss off and leave her rest.

"Clara, up." Tommy huffed, shaking her once more. The girl moaned and rubbed her eyes as her brother towered over her.

"What?" She grumbled, opening one eye at him.

"I'm going,"

Clara bolted up, "Already? But we only got here!" She exclaimed, her eyes wide in shock.

"I'm going...you're staying. You can get the train back tomorrow evening." Tommy briefly explained, lighting his cigarette.

"Tomorrow? Wait, I get to stay here? With Ada?" Clara shook her head trying to rid her mind of all sleepiness.

"Yes, you can stay here with Ada," Tommy nodded, "but Clara, I mean it. No trouble."

"Yeah, yeah, got it." She nodded. Tommy nodded before he walked out of Ada's parlour, the fading footsteps signalling his leave.

Clara yawned, stretching her arms above her head as she heard Ada bidding their brother goodbye. She sat up straight, swinging her legs back around the seat so she was sitting normally. The room she was sitting in was quite lavish. Paintings were hung on each wall, the decorations littered around the room almost mimicking the parlour of their childhood home— the home Clara still resided in.

"Good morning, sleepyhead," Ada sang, as she re-entered the parlour. In her arms she carried a tray with two teacups and a porcelain teapot, clinking and clanking against each other as she walked.

"Hah, hah," Clara mocked, rolling her eyes with a small smile, her eyes trailing after her sister as she placed the tray down onto the small table.

"Well, c'mon, get over here," Ada huffed and waved the younger girl over as she sat down on the sofa. Clara slowly pushed herself to her feet and strolled over towards her sister, where she was promptly dragged down onto the cushions of the sofa.

"Alright, alright," Clara laughed, settling back against the sofa as Ada poured the tea.

"Well...tell me,"