45. to be right is a concept entirely subjected to opinion.

☆

CLARA SHELBY OFTEN PONDERED THE FOUNDATION OF RIGHT AND WRONG because who truly was to say what is right and what isn't? Who was to say what is wrong and what isn't. Who determined an action to be right? Who determined it to be wrong? What ridiculous systemic beliefs were integrated into a society that enabled them to be capable of distinguishing a right from a wrong?

It all seemed rather...particular.

Because what if it was deemed right to throw small children over bridges? Would people do it? As much as Clara would delight in doing so, she would have to step back and realise just to what extent the foundations of right and wrong were indeed, right or wrong.

How could one simply decide what was right and what was not? The answer is simple...they couldn't. One might try to push their ideals and their views, but that is one singular person. One person out of millions who may or may not believe differently.

To be right or wrong is a concept entirely subjected to opinion.

Clara Shelby may not hold the same premise of right or wrong in comparison to many others. She believed many things were wrong—many, many things. However, she believed many, many things were right, things such as you should live as you wish and you should love who you love. Clara backed the fact that to love was a universal event that was wholeheartedly right. That to love so deeply and frighteningly was a rightful shared human experience. She believed that love could be shared between any individuals in a variety of ways. Whether it be platonic, romantic, familial or sexual, love tied everyone together with little red strings, interconnecting and weaving with a range of others.

Love was a cycle, or perhaps a tree. It was repetitive, similar—a series of stages in need of completion. Love grew slowly and carefully, ensuring that the nature of its being was suitable between the individuals it attached to. Its roots went deep into the soul and remained there, helping to ground people to what they know and what they experience.

Clara believed that love could wither, (quite like the tree at her and Penny's spot). She believed it could rot away and leave dead roots in the soul that hurt to uproot. She believed that love could die, love was not infinite, and it could simply not last forever. Whether it falls apart through spiteful arguments or something as natural as death, love always and inevitably ended eventually.

It had to...no matter how right it may have seemed.

THE SOUND OF YELLING WAS WHAT EVENTUALLY awoke Clara Shelby from her drunken slumber. It was a deep and loud voice that rattled around Clara's hungover mind and ripped any sense of peace out of reach. The girl stirred at a sudden movement beside her. She slowly opened her eyes and blinked heavily as the noise continued to reverberate around the room. Clara looked around with groggy eyes and upon seeing that she was in fact not in Watery Lane, she jolted up.