39. look like th'innocent flower

☆

PENNY CRAWFORD WAS TO BE MARRIED.

Clara had genuinely thought her ears had deceived her. There was no conceivable way that her Angel would be married off at eighteen. Surely Will had been mistaken. There was no other explanation and yet...no, Will must've been mistaken.

Clara Shelby had walked home that night with a heavy soul that pondered the depths of the matter raised. She'd found herself withering in a solitary state, with a whiskey bottle clutched tight in her hand and a cigarette in the other. She'd already consumed the rest of the cocaine that remained in the bottle which had been previously stored safely in her bedroom.

She felt torn as if her mind was pulled apart seam by seam and stitch by stitch.

Her mind had dwelled on someone she'd long left behind. Someone who she didn't even really know anymore. Her mind had pondered the childish dreams of her youth. There had been a time when she thought they'd be inseparable, just two kindred spirits until the end of time.

Alas, how could an Angel like the one the Shelby girl claimed to be hers, ever love the scum and terror Clara and her family were built from?

Clara had sat downstairs in the living room of number six Watery Lane, her bleary eyes trained on the flames in the fireplace.

Penny Crawford was to be wed and surely Clara could have no objection. She couldn't be upset or mad or frustrated. She didn't know the blonde anymore. They were strangers. They'd grown both physically and mentally Clara had imagined. She shook her head as the thought of the news lingered. Penny was getting married to a man.

Of all things...a man?

Clara's heart had physically hurt at the thought. Thousands of thoughts poked and prodded at her like she was some freak experiment. They were horrid questioning thoughts. Thoughts Clara didn't like to entertain.

Had Penny changed her mind about who she liked? What she liked? Was it all a pretence? Had Clara just been a game?

Surely not...was she?

Her eyes had focused ahead of her as they blurred from both the heat and impending tears, tears that would not fall. The warmth of the fire had done little to soothe the cold feeling in her chest, a cold feeling that rippled and edged with heat with each drag of her cigarette.

The flames before her brought forth the memories of the nightmare she had been plagued with on the night of Tommy and Grace's wedding. The dream where her body ignited while she writhed and pleaded with her cold and callous brothers for respite.

Clara had watched as the flames curled and engulfed the wood within. She had watched as the flames sparked in hues of red and orange, each smoky tendril disappearing up the chimney. Her eyes had stung and begged to refocus but Clara had not let them.