44. the moon is the window to the soul

☆

CLARA SHELBY WAS NOT HAPPY. The lines of cocaine she'd done this morning had done little to raise her spirits, in fact, she felt even more infuriated than usual. As she shoved her way through the Good Friday crowd gathered outside of the betting den. Her eyebrows were furrowed in anger. The men were yelling, their hands full of hard-earned money to squander as they awaited the opening of the den. The girl scowled deeply as she was pushed forward into another man who shoved her backwards.

"Alrigh'..." Clara gritted before she pulled her gun from her pocket and held it into the air. She cleared her throat and yelled. "MOVE OUT OF MY FUCKIN' WAY!"

Every man in the small crowd turned to look at her as she pointed the gun straight ahead of her at the men blocking the entrance. Over half the men took two steps backwards, recognising the girl and the steel of her gun. Clara smirked triumphantly as she shoved the gun back into its holster and walked the now empty path into the betting den. She pushed open the wooden door before she angrily slammed it shut behind her.

"It's not fair." Esme's voice echoed through the den as the roaring outside rose again. "They're off drinking and shooting rifles as we sit here. Listen to the mugs swearing, spitting on the bloody floor for us to fucking wipe up! Without men here, they'd be like dogs pissing up the wall."

The woman paused as Clara shrugged off her jacket and hung it up on the coatstand along with her hat. Clara pushed strands of her hair behind her ears before she strode towards Esme, Lizzie and Pol.

"I was just saying it's not fair. The men are down there like lords." Esme continued to complain as she leaned back in her seat.

"Here, here," Clara agreed as she grabbed a set of papers from the table that Esme sat behind. She placed them on a counter and grabbed a pen to start going through the countless lists.

"Esme, just..." Pol sighed in exasperation, her eyes flickering to Clara. "Get on with it."

"I'm bloody five months gone!" Esme called after Pol in anger.

"And whose fault is that, Esme?" Clara huffed with a glint of mischief in her eyes as she spared a glance at the grumbling woman who snorted up another line of cocaine.

"I forgot the combination," Pol groaned from the other room, as she banged her head on the safe.

"24-8-22,"

"24-8-22,"

Clara looked to Lizzie who had also recited the safe combination. She raised a brow before she returned to the stack of paper.

"How do you know the paper cash combination?" Pol questioned. Clara took the hint that she was asking Lizzie rather than Clara because if Pol were to ask Clara, she'd know that Clara had stolen cash out of it many times. Never enough to make anyone suspicious but just enough so she could go out drinking. She always ended up replacing the stolen money with some poor drunkard's cash which she'd also steal.