30. payday panic

☆

THE FOLLOWING MORNING, CLARA HAD tried to avoid her family as much as possible. She'd woken up far later than usual and waited until she knew that both Finn and Tommy had left for the day. Throughout the day, she ignored John and Arthur's pitiful looks and the careful eyes that watched in case she would break again. She did not give them satisfaction. The girl kept her nose stuck in her book as she weaved through the betting den, not bothered to look up as people moved out of her way. She'd spent the whole day indoors, mainly going in and out of her bedroom.

Her body was quite sluggish, in fact, she felt hungover without even having drunk anything. Clara felt jaded. Her mind wasn't even taking in the words she read, she just stared at the pages in hopes of focusing her mind. The girl sat on the stairs inside of number six Watery Lane while her legs folded beneath him. She leaned against the bannister, her book being held lazily in one hand.

"CLARA!"

The girl didn't look up at John's call, she didn't even flinch. Clara remained focused on the book, her eyes staring holes into the pages. She could hear loud, rapid footsteps approaching, yet she did not move.

"Oi, weasel, up, I got a job for ya," John stated, hitting her head through the bannister. Clara looked up, her eyebrow raised as her brother stood in front of her and waved a thick stack of papers. "Need you to drop these accounts up to Michael at the offices."

"And you can't?" The girl asked, as she carefully closed her book.

"It's payday, so I can't," he sniffed while he handed her the papers. "So get to it."

"Making your sister do your work just because you want to go out and get and drink doesn't quite seem fair," Clara mused, taking the papers nevertheless.

"Seems fair to me," John smirked, "Make sure Michael has them before six."

Clara glanced towards the grand clock straight across from her. "But it's quarter to now!" She complained.

"Better get a move on then," John shrugged, disappearing back into the betting den. Clara huffed and reluctantly stood to her feet. She placed the papers on the kitchen table as she threw on one of Finn's coats. Her one was still soaked from the night before. She untucked her hair from inside the jacket and pulled on her hat. With another grumble, she picked up the papers and left the house.

Clara kept her head down as she walked. Her pace was quick, and every so often she pulled out her watch to check the time. Her eyes flitted over the paper's contents every once in a while, trying to decipher the typed information. She was only glad it hadn't begun to rain.

When Clara finally arrived at the Shelby Company Limited offices, she climbed the stairs in long strides and practically sped towards Michael's office with her pocket watch in hand. She heard voices coming from the office.